17*Evander James*

After meeting up at my house, I climb into Evan's XB.

"You ready, Stud?" I ask as we drive to his house.

He lets out a small sigh, "To be honest, I'm freaking out. You know my parents; they discriminate against everyone that's not white, straight, Christian, and wealthy. Not necessarily in that order."

"No matter what," I take his hand in mine, "I'll be here for you; as well as our friends and my family. Plus, we've got a couple teachers on our side now too."

He kisses the top of my hand before letting go so he can shift, "I know and I appreciate it more than I can tell you. I'm a pretty lucky guy, all in all. I just hope it goes alright. Even if they don't accept me, I hope they let me go in peace."

The rest of the ride was silent. The radio isn't even on.

I can't help but let my mind wonder to all the bad scenarios. What if his parents don't accept him? He's never really been particularly close to his parents, but I know he wants their acceptance. What kid doesn't? It's always been difficult for my guy to endure his living situation. I know he's always wanted to escape; to be his own person.

Stopping in front of his house, my man take in a shaky breath and looks at me, "My dad's only in town tonight. So, we can't dilly dally. I just wanna get in, tell them, and take it from there. Like ripping off a Band-Aid; the quicker you do it the less painful it is. Right?"

I nod in encouragement, "Let's do this."

Opening my door, I straighten out my clothes before I walk over to Evan and take his hand. We walk up to the door together. He takes in another large amount of air and turns the knob.

"MOM! DAD!" he yells as we walk into the foyer.

I try to take my hand away to make things less awkward at first, but he holds on tighter. I look him in the eyes, "I don't want to make things weird."

"You're keeping me grounded. Please, let me hold onto you," his eyes beg almost as hard as his words.

I shake my head in disbelief, "I was trying to make it easier for you. If this helps, I'm all about it."

He cracks a smile before calling out to his parents again. We move into the sitting room to wait for their arrival. Sitting down on the couch, I can see sweat form on my man's forehead. I kiss the back of his hand in a silent reassurance.

A few moments after Evan calls then again, his parents walk into the room.

"Evander James, why are you shouting like a lunatic?" his father addresses him.

He winces at the use of his full name; he hates it.

He thinks his full name is 'snooty,' but to be fair, his family's 'old money'. His dad owns a chain of high-end hotels that have been in the family for a long time. They opened some time in the 1800's, but have obviously changed with the times.

"I have something I need to tell you," he explains to them.

His father sits in the Empire easy-chair as his mother takes residence on the chaise. I realize now that they're both holding drinks; drinks that are probably not legal for me to consume.

"What is it that you needed to talk about Evander? We have to get ready for a cocktail party tonight," Mrs. Riddle says taking a sip from her glass. "And I still need a dress, Richard."

She's always been egoistical.

My man and his parents were never very loving though. They're always considerably formal to one another. They tolerated each other enough to live together until Evan leaves for college, but they don't even know enough to realize we should still be in school for almost another hour.