8|The Neighbor's Light

Chapter 8| The Neighbor's Light
Distance Disturbs Me - Set it Off

Oliver Bright

I wanted to talk to Nick. I really did.

But I couldn't.

I wanted to, but my voice and body wouldn't let me.

Even when Nick was sitting behind me in the last class of the day and the last school day of the week, I didn't. He didn't either.

Willow wanted me to talk about it, but I didn't. I couldn't. I wouldn't.

I decided to walk home today. The nice Autumn wind was blowing through my hair. Leaves were falling and crunching under my feet. I loved Fall. It felt great and smelled nice. It was also fully acceptable to smash pumpkins and jump in leafs.

I get home and get greeted by my family. Jessie was already home, because she had a doctors appointment. She would either walk home with me or Addi.

We talked and played around. We had fun and ate dinner. Soon it was time for me to go to bed.

"Goodnight," I say as I walk into my bedroom.

"Hey, Oliver," Jessie says sweetly while walking into my room. I look up to her lazily. "Is there something wrong?"

"Nope," I lie.

"Something wrong between you and Nick?" She asks worryingly. She glances over to the painting and notices it's covered.

"No," I say after a few minutes of silence.

"Okay," she says, giving up. "I'm here for you. Just remember my girlfriend can spy on Nick for you," she says while giving me a wink. She shuts the door, leaving and I lay down.

A personal spy would be nice...but I can't. At least not right now.

I slowly get up and pull off my pants and shirt. I go into my drawer and pull out a random shirt. I put it on and turn off the lights in my room. I immediately notice that my neighbor's light wasn't blinding me. It usually would illuminate my room. I go up to my window and see a teenage boy looking at the light. I remember seeing him sometimes from my window, but I never talked to him. He sighs and walks back into the house.

I walk back to my bed and lie down. It was dark and I was trapped with my own thoughts. I could usually look at one of my posters while I fell asleep or something, but it was just darkness.

I turn over on my side and go to sleep.

"Oliver! Wake up," I hear a deep and annoyed voice say.

I open my eyes and see my dad with a bucket of water in his hands.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'm up!" I say and jump out of bed.

My dad laughs and says, "Just making sure." I groan and go to put some jeans on. "Hurry up and get dressed. You need to take care of Jessie. We're going to your grandma's house, just me and you're mom. She wants to see us." Grandma must be dying or wanting to yell at my father. He could tell I was a bit worried because he says, "She's...okay. For now at least. Don't worry Oliver." He gives me one of his famous bear hugs.