b o n u s / / the kelvin sisters

B O N U S  i: The Kelvin Sisters

{almost end of summer}

There was this certain nostalgic atmosphere filling
the summer air. Perhaps, it was because the glorious period of freedom was almost over and school was about to start up once more.

The beach was almost empty, and a certain coffee shop was starting to get busy again.

Zoey was leaning against the counter, staring into space.
She felt very sad.

Why?

Well, it's her last day at her summer job.

Summer is almost over and she has to get back to school.

She had a co-worker alongside her today.

Her name is Ashley. A free-spirited twenty-six year old who started working there only a week ago.

"Kid, you okay?" Ashley asked, her red lips pursed into a thin line as she waved her tattoed hand in front of Zoey's face.

Zoey immediately snapped out of her thoughts. "Oh. Um, yeah."

Silence.

"Well, not really. I don't wanna go back to school. And believe it or not, I'll actually miss this job. I have a lot of memories here." She smiled as she remembered a handsome boy's face.

Guess who.

Ashley chuckled. "That's okay, kid. You can still hang out here after school or something."

"Yeah...I suppose."

There was an awkward silence that settled between them. Well, not really silence because the place was packed, but you know what I mean.

Her head suddenly turning to the clock.

6:00 p.m.

"Listen, I gotta go. I still have to go and get some school supplies." Zoey informed.

"Yeah, sure. Take care, kid. Hang out here anytime, okay?"

Zoey smiled. A genuine one, in fact. "Definitely."

She took off her apron, her heart growing heavy as she did so. This job has really grown on her. The scent of newly-brewed coffee and the sound of the door chime was all too familiar.

Sometimes, she even feels like the back of the counter is her second home.

Picking her black backpack, she slung in onto her shoulder and headed for the door.

Looking back at the shop one last time, her heart began to swell.

She liked the view of the happy customers. Sitting with their laptops, or their noses buried in books.

She hopes the customers enjoys the shop as much she did.

She turned her back, and saw Joe putting on his helmet in the parking area.