Chapter 20 - Why me?

A/N: Damn writers block >.< & don’t hate me, please…?

Follow my twitter, btw. (: @stormyxweather

---------

Liam ran out of the house and stopped running when he looked out for the familiar bleached mob of hair that belonged to Niall as he saw his Irish friend running down the path Niall always took when he needed to get to the bus fast, and Liam immediately started running after Niall so he won’t lose sight of him.

Niall had no idea where he was running to, where his legs were carrying him to, all he knew was that he needed to get away; away from everything; away from the phone call that would change his life; away from the problems. He was aware that he had face everything sooner or later, but later seemed to be the better option to him in that very moment.

“NIALL!”, Liam shouted breathlessly from running, but Niall just kept on running; he either didn’t hear Liam, or he acted like he didn’t, Liam had no clue; he was tired from running on the uneven ground, but he forced himself to keep running. There was no way he wanted to lose sight of Niall, not in this fragile state. Who knows where Niall was going, or what he was doing there? It was too dangerous to let Niall go.

~

Louis’ hands started to shake as he started at the wall that was ahead from him. Laura hung up a lot of pictures of Niall on that wall; most pictures showed Niall and her, there was one picture that was taken when Nialls mum was still alive. Louis didn’t recognize the scene they were in, so he assumed it was back in Ireland. Some people showed Niall and friends; Louis recognized some of them to be Zayn and Liam.

“Louis? Are you there?” Laura’s voice pulled Louis out of his thoughts, and he bit his lower lip and nodded before he realized she couldn’t see this. He took a deep breath.  “Yeah, I am... what are the news?”, he answered, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

The line stayed quite for a while; the sound of breathing was the only thing Louis could hear from the other side of the line, and his heart was pounding out of his chest.

He would never admit it in front of Niall, but he was scared that Niall would have to move to Ireland. He just met Niall, he was just building up a good friendship with the guy, and there was no way he could lose Niall now. Besides this, Niall needed him. Louis was the only friend of Niall who was aware of his self-harm and eating issues, the only one who could keep an eye out for this when Laura wasn’t near. Who would watch after this in Ireland?

“L-Laura?”, Louis carefully said, and he heard a sigh before the feminine voice that belonged to Nialls aunt was audible.

“It’s… bad news.”, Laura choked out, and Louis could feel how his throat dried out as he let himself fall on the couch that was behind him. “What?”, he asked, hoping he misheard her even though he wasn’t deaf or anything.

“I said I got bad news. The judge thought it would be better to have Niall live with his father.” Laura sounded like she was on the verge to tears, but Louis could perfectly understand this. He looked at the ceiling without moving as he started to speak again.

“Has his father mentioned why he wants to have Nialls custody? It’s pretty weird, you know, wanting to have your son live with you after almost 18 years. Like… did the judge question this at least?”

“Yes.”, Laura answered. “He claimed he never knew about Nialls existence, that he found out by accident, and that he is interested in his son and his life, and that he now wants to be a part of his life. But I don’t think it’s the real reason, Maura would never hide a child birth.” Laura sighed heavily.