Chapter 4

Niall's POV

The rest of the day was filled with me really spacing out because I couldn't stop thinking about that Zayn guy and his baby. It was weird, but I was more worried about him than I was about anyone I've ever met at the shelter. Maybe it was because the people that are at the shelter are there so I can help them and this guy wasn't there. He looked so incredibly tired. It's also a sign that things aren't going well for a man when he cries over two horrible ladies making a comment. Sure he probably left his wallet at home or something, but when his little girl started crying, he looked like he aged ten years from exhaustion right in front of me.

I see some mothers at the grocery store that look that way, but Zayn worried me. I'd be lying if I said I didn't look for a wedding ring on him. He obviously wasn't married and looked to be around my age, so I can only imagine the stress of being a parent. I was just worried that he needed help, but didn't have any or realize he needed more than he does.

My shift at the grocery store ended, so I left and went straight to the shelter. When I walked in, I saw Harry was mopping the floor and Liam was carrying in some big boxes. Both of them looked up at me and smiled then set down their work.

"Hey, Niall. We're getting dinner ready then that church youth group is coming in to serve the meal because we're all going out for dinner. My mum asked you, right?" Harry asked me. He was completely rambling right now because Liam had walked up to stand next to Harry. I saw the tall man's checks heat up to a nice shade of pink and his eyes start to drift to the floor. It's times like these that I wish I could just take out my phone and record him.

"Yeah, she asked me to go with you all." I answered then went over to the box Liam had set down. It was a large box full of canned goods. I reached down to pick it up, but it was too heavy for me. Maybe it would do me some good to work out. I might be more helpful around here.

"I've got this, mate. How was work?" Liam asked. He picked up the box like it was nothing and carried it inside the kitchen. I followed him while Harry went back to mopping the floor. I could only faintly hear him talking to himself saying he was stupid and keeps messing up. I smiled because that was always how Harry has been. When I first became friends with himself he was always talking to himself and gazing off into space in the middle of sentences and picking up the same spot ten minutes later. I just learned his ways and he learned mine in return.

"Work was alright. I purposely broke some lady's eggs." I told him like it was nothing. I begin unloading the box that was full of canned beans and vegetables so we could start to prepare them. Liam looked at me and shook his head like he wasn't really following. With him, he's more of Harry's friend than he is mine. We're pretty close because he helps here allot, but he tries to parent me sometimes and I don't like that. I know he's older and is just looking out for me, but he's a little over the top sometimes.

"She was being a bitch to this man that had a new born baby girl. He left his wallet somewhere are was about to leave without all his baby supplies. She piped up making a rude comment with her ugly friend and they laughed at him, so I broke her eggs. Karma is a bitch." I explained to him. He laughed then seemed to let the whole situation settle in.

"Was the man and his baby homeless? You should have told him to come here for supplies if he needed it." Liam said. I sighed and leaned back against the counter. I let all the thoughts of the situation run through my head again because I never thought they were homeless. I just thought he was a tired new parent that was in need of a good night's sleep.

"No, they weren't homeless. The guy, his name is Zayn, had nice clothes on. They were just sweats, but they didn't look worn. He also had his hair a little wet so that must have ment he showered. His little girl had a cute little ribbon in her hair too and she looked nice and warm. I think he probably took over the baby shift so his girlfriend or whoever could rest. He looked like he needed some sleep himself." I said. Liam watched me for a second then shook his head like he didn't want to get into talking to me about something like this.