Thirteen

"Can we go to the beach?" I asked quietly as I twirled my hair around my finger. "If you're concerned about me, I assure you, I'm fine," he answered.

"No, I meant just to go, you know? For fun," I told him as I continued to stare out of the window.

"Honestly, where exactly are we going?" I asked him.

"Alaska," he responded with a monotonous voice. I paused. "A-Alaska?! I can't go there. I was born and raised in a city with hardly no cold!" I shouted as I sat up.

"You wanted to come with me, and there will be risks and consequences for tagging along. If you want to get away from my father, Alaska is the answer," he explained loudly and I sighed.

"Fine..." I said quietly as I laid down on the seats. I think we both needed fresh air. Lately, we've been arguing a lot more and the last thing I need is to say something wrong.

When the car came to a stop and I just lied there with my eyes closed. "Get up," he said and I groaned. "Why?" I asked and he sighed. "I guess you don't want to go to the beach," he told me and I quickly sat up.

"I-I....let's just go!" I yelled as I quickly got out of the car and ran barefooted onto the sand. I ran with my arms out and my face to the sky. I turned back to see Pierce just strolling behind me.

I got close to the water and let my feet get wet. I giggled as small waves crashed onto my feet, tickling them in the process.

Suddenly, I saw a bright light shining from underneath the water. I turned back to see Pierce just lying there on the sand, soaking up the rays of the sun.

I looked back at the light and I began walking closer to it. It was farther than it appeared. I glanced down at my dry clothes I wore. I did not have a bathing suit, but I couldn't leave the light alone.

Something about that light pulled me towards it. I continued to make my way towards it. My pants got soaked, but I kept marching towards it, swallowing some salt water in the process.

Dark gray clouds, almost black, started forming in the sky, and the winds increased. The water was up to my neck and I saw a figure underneath. I gasped as it grabbed my leg. I was pulled under.

I saw a merman, gazing at me with beady golden eyes. "Don't be frightened, I came to deliver a message to you," it's voice appeared in my head.

His hands were grasping mine. His touch sparked a feeling of rejuvenation inside of me, as if I can breathe under water as well.

"I used my powers to lure you out here. I came to tell you that our kingdom is in danger and the people are angry to be betrayed. We trust that you will carry on this message," he said with a nod before letting go of me and disappearing.

I began to sink and my vision began to blur and turn black. All I saw was his blue scaly tail along with his long brown hair before darkness surrounded me.

***

"Maybelle! Maybelle!"

I sat up quickly and coughed up water. Pierce wrapped his arms around me and held me close. "What happened?" He asked me and I took a deep breath.

There was some people looking and I looked down. "I'll tell you later," I told him as he helped me get to my feet.

"I thought I almost lost you," he said and I glanced down at my feet. "I'm sorry," I responded quietly as I walked to the car.

"Are you alright?" A lifeguard asked me as he came up to me. "Y-Yes, thank you," I said to him. He was tall and very muscular, not to mention very tanned. He had bright green eyes and dirty blonde hair.

He offered me a towel. "Thanks," I said, and as I was about to reach it, Pierce grabbed it. "Thank you, we're going now," Pierce said rudely as he grabbed my shoulder and pushed me forward.

He took me to a small beach house not too far away. "How did you get one?" I asked him as we got inside. "I used my powers to convince the owner to rent us it for free," he answered.

"All mermaids and mermen possess the power of persuasion. But its up to them to use it for good or for bad," he added as he set down the car keys on the table in the living room.

"Go shower. There should be a change of clothes on the bed," he told me and I nodded.

------------

Thank you everyone for reading! I hope you enjoyed it!

Don't forget to:

VOTE
COMMENT
SHARE
FOLLOW

Love you all!!!<3