Chapter 11

This one's dedicated to dreamy348 because she's a Rock Prodigy addict and I'm an enabler.

I also started the whole playlist thing! you can find it on my profile!!

Enjoy!

Chapter 11

In calculus I got busted for not finishing an assignment and Mr. Johnson told me I had to stay after school to finish it. During lunch hour, the band met up to go over a few last minute details for the night’s gig.

The gig had been a fairly last minute decision. The owner of a local club called Jam had phoned Mac asking him if Burn to Shine could fill in for a band that had cancelled. Mac had agreed even though I felt like we weren’t quite ready to perform yet but he insisted that we would be fine.

So with barely a week to prepare, we’d made a set list for the night and practiced our butts off. When I told the guys that I had to stay after school they all yelled at me, especially Mac. I promised them that I would finish as fast as possible then meet them at the garage. When the final bell rang, I rushed to calculus class and finished the assignment in about twenty minutes. I wasn’t bad at school, I just had no motivation to do the work when I could be concentrating my energy on more important things. Like music.

“Later Mr. Johnson!” I shouted with a backwards wave as I raced out of the building, my guitar bumping on my back as I moved swiftly through the hallways.

I took the same shortcut through a park that I always took to Mac’s house. The path was more deserted than usual because school had let out a while ago. I was jogging lightly on the path when an arm swung out from behind a tree, catching me across the collarbone and making my feet fly out from under me. I landed on my back with a thud and I heard a sickening crack from inside my guitar case. I gasped, trying to get air back into my lungs as I rolled over and peeled the case’s straps off my shoulders. I reached for the zipper with a shaking hand but before I could reach it, someone kicked me in the ribs, sending me to the ground on my side.

I groaned and my gaze focused on Lisa who was looming above me with a satisfied smile on her face. “Hey Rosie,” she said, her voice filled with hatred and a twisted sense of amusement as she looked down at me.

I ignored her, looking over to where my guitar was lying in the dirt. I reached for it again and her foot came down hard on my wrist, the same one that I had broken. I winced but didn’t cry out and I felt the recently healed bones grind together. “I thought I told you to stay away from the Parker brothers? Girls, did I tell her to stay away from them?”

Poppy and Marissa appeared beside her and looked down at me. Marissa nodded, a satisfied smirk on her face and Poppy just looked down at me, her eyes wide. I could see panic in her dark brown gaze and I knew that if any of these three girls were going to help me, it would be her.

Lisa stepped down harder on my wrist and I let out a low sound at the pain before I pulled my other hand back and punched her in the side of her knee. She cried out and stumbled a couple steps away from me, taking the pressure off my wrist allowing me to scramble to my feet. “You stupid bitch!” she yelled, limping slightly as she came towards me with her hands fisted. I wasn’t a fighter but I managed to dodge the first punch she threw. The second one caught me in the gut, knocking the air out of my lungs for the second time, making me double over.

Marissa hooked her foot around my legs and knocked me onto my back, making my head crack against a rock and for a second, my vision went black before it returned by degrees. I blinked up at Lisa’s now slightly blurry face as she straddled me and gripped my hair, tugging it painfully. “Here’s what’s going to happen, Rosie. Tomorrow, you’re going to transfer schools. I don’t give a shit where you transfer to as long as it’s not Trinity High. Got it?”