Chapter 21

Dedicated to starlite19 for making a lovely cover! Thanks!!!

Sorry I took a long time for this one guys! But wow, this is a loooong chapter lol. Enjoy!

Chapter 21

“How many times do I have to tell you not to play it like that?” Jenna shouted at me, ripping the sound blocking headphones of her ears and glaring at me.

I shrugged, gritting my teeth to keep from yelling at her. We’d been playing the same song for the past two hours and it wasn’t coming out right. It wasn’t a bad song and Jenna actually had a decent voice but there was something missing. She was thinking about it too much when she sang, trying too hard to hit each note perfectly, forgetting about the music.

“Are you even listening to me?” she asked shrilly and my teeth were locked so hard together that my jaw was starting to ache.

“I’m listening, Jenna but your father asked me to play with you because he thought I had the right sound. I’m going to play the music the way I see it in my mind and the way I feel it in my heart, not the way I see it on paper. If you don’t like it then you can find someone else,” I said firmly, a hint of anger creeping into my tone.

“Well I’m telling you to play it the way it’s written. It’s just a couple bars why does it matter so much?” She asked, striding towards where I was sitting at the piano and grabbing a pencil, circling the two bars that I’d played slightly differently.

I looked up at her and didn’t say anything for a while as she stared down at me sternly, her long blonde hair falling in soft waves over her shoulder, her green eyes expertly lined in black and her outfit the height of fashion. “Do you even like music?” I blurted.

Her eyes narrowed at me and her upper lip curled slightly. “What did you just say to me?”

“Do you like music or do you just want to be famous?” I asked clearly, the answer somehow important to me.

“I live for music, you bitch. I went to my first concert when I was still in the womb and since then I’ve been to hundreds, maybe even thousands. Ask me anything about music and I’ll tell you. Go on, ask.” She said, slapping my shoulder with the back of her hand lightly, urging me to quiz her.

I shook my head, still looking at her straight on. “That’s not what I mean. When you sing do you feel it in here?” I asked, placing my hand on my chest over my heart, thinking about that sensation I got whenever my hands even came near my guitar. The way it felt when I pressed down on the fret board and plucked the string, making that sweet sound ring out, reaching others.

She glared at me. “Of course I do!” she said shrilly, bringing her face closer to mine and pushing on my shoulder. “How dare you even ask me that?”

“Don’t push me,” I said quietly, feeling exasperated by her attitude.

“Or what? Are you going to beat me up?” She put her hands on her hips and rolled her eyes at me. “You wouldn’t, you’re weak, Rose, that’s why Mac will never be with you because you’re too afraid of the consequences. Soon his gaze will turn towards me and you’ll lose him. Just you wait.”

I stood up and before I could stop myself, I’d raised both my hands and pushed her, making her stumbled back a couple steps, her back hitting the glass that separated us from the control booth.

“Girls! Stop it! There’s expensive equipment in there!” Mike said over the intercom, his voice panicked.

“You just pushed me!” Jenna screeched, charging forward and tackling me to the floor, making my head bounce off the carpet.