Chapter 13

Dedicated to drea_smile for making me an awesome cover!!!

Enjoy!

Chapter 13

“What the hell are you talking about?” Mac shouted as the cop snapped the cuffs on my wrists, making me cry out softly when he tugged my right one at a painful angle.

“I can’t discuss this with you,” he said, leading me towards the cruiser.

“Mac, it’s okay, this is all just a misunderstanding,” I said trying to calm him down even though my heart was beating so hard inside of my chest that it was making my bruised ribs ache.

Mac growled but didn’t interfere as the cop stood me in front of the vehicle and frisked me. I could practically hear him grinding his teeth as the cop’s hands moved lightly over me, checking for hidden weapons. He was professional about it though and didn’t touch me anywhere that my skin was exposed. “She’s not resisting arrest, do you really have to cuff her,” he snarled.

“It’s policy when dealing with people who have a history of crime.”

“What?” Mac said, his voice filled with disbelief and anger. “Rosemary what is he talking about?”

“Mac,” I whispered, my gaze connecting with his for a second. There were a thousand questions in his eyes as he looked at me and I couldn’t answer any of them right now. “I’ll explain later.” My throat felt tight and my eyes were burning as I tried desperately not to cry but this whole situation was really freaking me out.

I turned away from Mac and the cop opened the door, placing his hand on the back of my head, making my vision swim a little as he applied pressure to the already injured spot. “Don’t touch her!” Mac shouted and the cop turned hastily, putting his hand on his holster.

“Mac!” I yelled, panicked that he was going to do something stupid, like attack a cop. “It’s fine. I’m okay. I’ll call you as soon as I can, okay?”

The cop kept his wary gaze on Mac as his partner came and shut the door. I heard the muffled sound of Mac saying that he would be at the station before he moved out of my sight and the two officers stepped in the vehicle.

The ride was silent and as my gaze connected with the officer’s in the mirror, seeing the disapproval in his eyes, I got an uncomfortable sense of déjà vu. I gritted my teeth, trying to control my urge to cry. “This can’t be happening,” I muttered as we pulled up in front of the police station.

One of the cops opened my door and dragged me out, holding my arm as he tugged me along the sidewalk. He stopped suddenly when a man walked by, holding Lisa by the arm and saying, “A false statement? Lisa this is the last straw. I’m sending you to that school in Alaska.”

She laughed and when her gaze landed on me, she stuck her tongue out and gave me the finger. She looked kind of funny with her tongue out, two black eyes, and a bandage on her nose. “Alaska sounds lovely, Dad,” she said sarcastically as they moved past us.

“Are you Rosemary Adams?” I turned away from Lisa and her father to see a cop striding towards us wearing a suit.

“Yeah,” I replied, puzzled at the situation. He nodded to the two cops flanking me and they undid my handcuffs. I winced and rubbed my right wrist. “What’s going on?” I asked.

“Lisa Grange issued a false statement against you. I’m really sorry that we wasted your time, Ms. Adams.”

“So I’m not under arrest?” I asked and when he shook his head, I breathed a sigh of relief. “I only hit her in self defence.”