Chapter 12

Dedicated to Mike!!!!!!!

Enjoy!!

Chapter 12

We went over the set list briefly, not playing the entire songs and I didn’t touch any of the solos. When we were done, I was sweating and my wrist was pulsing with pain but I tried to hide it from the band.

“We can’t do this,” Mac growled, looking at me as I wiped a bead of sweat off my forehead.

“Yes we can,” I said firmly, refusing to give in.

He groaned and just glared at me as we started to pack up our equipment for the night.

We stopped at my apartment and I ran in quickly and changed out of my dirty, grass stained clothes and into a pair of frayed and faded denim shorts and a black long sleeved shirt that showed about an inch of midriff. I gave my hair a quick rinse to get the blood and dirt out of it and let it air dry, deciding that my slightly natural wave would have to do for the night. I put some dark eyeliner around my eyes and applied some mascara to my eyelashes and some red gloss to my lips. I stepped into a pair of Doc Martins to complete the outfit and left my apartment to meet the guys who were waiting in the car for me.

“Ready!” I said climbing into the car. When we didn’t start moving right away I looked over to see Mac staring at me. I frowned at him and glanced behind me, looking at the two guys in the back seat who were also staring at me. “What?” I asked.

Mac shook his head and cleared his throat, focusing on the road in front of him as he pulled away from the curb. “You look seriously hot, Rose,” Troy said.

“Really?” I asked, pleased when he nodded and Dan nodded in agreement. I glanced over at Mac to see him scowling out of the windshield. “Thanks guys!” I said ignoring Mac’s sullen expression.

When we arrived at Jam, we pulled up in the back alley where a couple workers appeared and helped us pull out our equipment. A tall, gaunt man with long silver hair and gray eyes came to greet us when we were settled into one of the practice rooms. “I’m John, co owner of Jam,” he said shaking hands with everyone in the band. When he got to me, he looked down at my bandaged hand in concern.  “That doesn’t look too good,” he said, eyeing my wrist.

I shrugged, giving him a reassuring smile. “I had a little accident,” I said.

He smiled back. “Well I appreciate you guys coming anyway. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you’d cancelled too. Back in the day, I would’ve called up Evelyn and her band but they’re a bit too famous for this venue now.”

“Evelyn Taylor?” Dan asked, shocked.

John nodded grinning at Dan. “Yeah, she’s the daughter of a good friend of mine. She used to practice here every day and her band played on this stage many times.” He sighed, getting a nostalgic look in his eyes. “Now they’re famous and I’ve barely seen her since she dropped out of college in her second year when Close All Doors was signed.” He shook himself and gave us an embarrassed grin. “Sorry, I guess I just miss Evie.” He shrugged and gave us a wave as he left us to our own devices.

“Wow, Close All Doors played here,” Dan said in a slightly breathless voice as he looked around the dingy room. We were in the back of the club and the cement walls had no decoration and the concrete floors had only a couple of area rugs for a splash of colour.

We were due to go on at ten and it was only five after nine so we went over a few things in the set. Mac was careful not to say too much to me because I kept trying to play. “Stop that,” he growled at me when I unconsciously strummed a chord on the unplugged guitar.