Chapter 32

I know, I know, a million years later....but it was Christmas and incredibly busy what with friends and presents and blah blah blah...whatever, i suck. Here's a chapter and I'm gonna have a new one within the next couple of days cause someone is depending on me. Merry belated Christmas, Happy belated New Year and good day to you all!

Enjoy!

Chapter 32

“What’s up with you today?” Jenna asked, plopping down next to me on the piano bench once we finished our last rehearsal before Christmas.

I blinked my dry eyes, my mind whirring with activity as I realized that I was still sitting at the piano with my fingers resting lightly on the keys and my foot hovering over the pedals. Slowly, I pulled my hands back and set them in my lap, giving Jenna a sheepish look and a shrug. “I’m just a little distracted,” I said, running a hand over my face, trying to wipe away the exhaustion I was feeling. “I didn’t sleep very much last night.”

She shrugged and tilted her head to the side, giving me a curious look. “You never sleep,” she said, her forehead wrinkling in confusion. “Are you sick?”

I shook my head and let out a heartfelt sigh, feeling a little sick to my stomach but it had nothing to do with the flu. “Savannah wants me to spend Christmas Eve with her and her parents.”

“Savannah? As in the daughter of the people who adopted you then tossed you aside? Well, that sounds like a fun Christmas,” she said wryly.

“Yeah,” I mumbled, my shoulders slumping as I turned to face the heavily marked up sheet music in front of me wishing it had the answers.

“So what are you going to do?”

I shrugged, running a hand through my hair in frustration. “I don’t know. Spending any part of the holidays with Ben and Sarah would be...hard,” I said, having to force my voice out over the sudden lump in my throat. “But...”

“Yeah yeah, I get it, you love Savannah and you want to spend Christmas with her so you’re thinking you could just bite the bullet and deal with Ben and Sarah because at least the little tyke will be there,” Jenna said, rolling her eyes in my direction. “So why are we even having this conversation?”

I frowned at her in confusion. “Because I can’t decide if I should spend Christmas with─”

“Yes you can,” she said firmly, cutting me off. “You’ve already decided and we both know it.” She tilted her head to the side, making her long blonde hair fall over her shoulder as a small smile stretched across her lips. “That little girl was your sister from the moment you laid eyes on her, anyone could see that and with the freakish way that you love Christmas, it’s obvious that you would walk through fire to spend even a tiny piece of the holiday with her.”

I blinked, seeing an uncharacteristic softness in Jenna’s green eyes as she looked at me. “Jenna,” I said quietly, feeling a little choked up because of her words.

Swiftly, she jumped to her feet and took a step back from the piano bench, the kindness in her eyes turning into a disgusted look. “Oh come on, don’t get all mushy now. The only reason I’m being nice to you is because you were so distracted today that your sound was off.”

“My sound was off?” I repeated, sitting up straight, and whipping my head to face the piano again, flipping through the sheet music, trying to remember exactly how I played everything. “Which part?” I asked, stopping on a page that was particularly covered in pencil markings. “Was it this one?” I asked, pointing at the section that we’d worked hardest on but I was sure that we got it right. I had been a little distracted but when I was playing, my thoughts were focused on the music. “Was it?” I asked, when she still didn’t respond, whipping my head around to face her but she wouldn’t meet my eyes.