Chapter 28

Okay, wow took me forever and I'm slacking on DN but I at least got this one up :) I'm sorry guys but it's just been busy. I'll try not to make you wait as long next time and I'll be working on DN furiously starting tomorrow provided that my brain is functional enough for it because I'm getting my wisdom teeth out in the morning...scratch that, in a few short hours.

Anywhositandwhatsit, dedicated to chooseitwisely because I wanna! and my computer broke down with all my book marks on it and I'm waaaaay too lazy/ horribly tired to figure out whose cover is supposed to be on this chapter. Sorry dudes. Love ya!

Chapter 28

I didn’t make it far before I stopped, blinking rapidly at the vague scene in front of me. I was staring at a parking lot filled with cars and people were milling all around me, heading to the food vendors that were set up or going towards the music that was still playing. A few people were giving me strange looks as I stood there, about twenty meters from my band with my back to them, my chest rising and falling quickly as I tried to gasp in some oxygen.

Slowly, I turned, my teeth clenched as my gaze drifted over Jenna, Cindy, Troy and Dan before heading to Mac who’d taken a few steps in my direction. His eyes were clouded with uncertainty and worry as he looked at me and when our gazes connected, he took a couple steps towards me before I shook my head and started to move back towards them.

Keeping my eyes on the small girl whose bottom lip was quivering as she stood slightly in front of her parents, her hands still outstretched from when she’d held onto me, I moved past the band and stopped right in front of Savannah. Her green eyes were bright with unshed tears as they widened and looked up at me. “I don’t hate you,” I said softly, my voice hoarse and my throat incredibly dry. I bent my knees to bring our eyes to the same level. “I’m sorry I ran away,” I whispered, reaching my hand out to lightly tug on her blonde pigtail, pain and wonder filling my heart as I crouched awkwardly in front of the girl, not knowing what to do. It had been a while since I’d spent any time around kids, since the boarding school.

“It’s okay!” she said cheerfully, her green eyes looking down at me now because she was slightly taller than me in my crouched position though I thought she was pretty short for her age. “I’m so happy I got to meet you!” she shouted, jumping up and down a little in enthusiasm before letting out a squeal and flinging her arms around my neck. My wide eyes jumped to her parents involuntarily who were looking at me with shock in their gazes.

I felt like I was being torn in two as I froze with this small girl’s arms around my neck. Slowly, I raised my arms to give her a gentle squeeze back, never taking my eyes off of Ben and Sarah. “I’m happy I got to meet you too,” I said quietly before I released my hold on her, and pulled her arms away from me.

“Can you sign this?” she asked, thrusting one of my older CDs at me along with a permanent marker, drawing my gaze.  

I swallowed hard, trying to calm my still racing heart as I nodded and reached out to do as she asked. “There you go,” I said in a choked voice, suddenly feeling like I was holding on by a very thin thread. My eyes started to burn with unshed tears and my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. “Bye,” I said and turned around and took two blind steps towards my band mates.

“Wait,” Ben said, his voice a little hoarse when he spoke. I froze immediately, hating myself for listening to him but I couldn’t seem to make my feet move. “Sarah and I would really like to talk to you─”

“This says Adams,” Savannah said, interrupting her father. “You’re last name is Keen, isn’t it? Just like mine.”

Slowly I shook my head, my eyes connecting firmly with Mac’s stormy gaze as he moved a step closer to me. “No. My last name isn’t Keen. It never was.”