Chapter 20

Dedicated to chooseitwisely because I'm so excited for our upcoming crossover chapter/chapters!!!

Shout out to runlikehell for making me a lovely cover! Thank you so much :)

Enjoy!!

Chapter 20

For the next few days, I couldn’t look Mac in the eye. I blushed constantly and whenever I tried to talk to him, I froze up. When I saw him, all I could think about was kissing him and the only time the image faded was whenever I was playing my guitar and music took over.

We didn’t really spend any time alone together over the weekend, mostly because I was avoiding him and by the time we were done at the studio on Tuesday, I could tell that he was getting mad. He kept shooting me glares and I winced, knowing I was behaving childishly but I couldn’t seem to stop it. “Rose,” he growled as soon as Mike gave us the all clear to leave the studio and before I could bolt, Mac gripped my arm tightly, looking down at me with a scowl on his face. “We need to talk.”

I swallowed hard looking at the clock on the wall in the control room which said it was already past eight pm. “I can’t really talk tonight, Mac,” I said, my heart beating wildly at the feeling of his skin on mine. “I have to be at this thing,” I said vaguely, my voice coming out a little breathless as my eyes connected with his angry indigo gaze.

“What thing?” he growled, not letting me go.

I was losing my train of thought from being so close to him and the anger was starting to fade from his eyes as he looked down at me, replaced by something else as his eyes dropped to my lips before moving back up. “Mac,” I whispered, knowing I shouldn’t be leaning closer to him but finding it impossible to stop.

“Mac!” Troy shouted, pounding Mac on the back in a friendly gesture. He grinned at the two of us. “You coming, or what? I’ll give you guys a ride home.”

I stepped back, Mac’s hand falling off my arm as I moved out of his reach and took a deep breath, avoiding his gaze and looking at Troy instead. “Thanks for the offer, Troy but I’m going to be late,” I said vaguely as I slung my guitar over my back and sprinted out of there, making my way quickly down the couple blocks to the small café that the piano open mic night was held at. Eric had told me that it started at seven thirty and he’d also said not to be late or he would kill me.

I sat down at a table, wincing as Eric sent me a glare from his seat behind the Yamaha digital piano set up on the small stage at the front of the café. “Sorry,” I mouthed before he closed his eyes and let out a deep breath, placing his fingers on the keyboard and after a beat, he starting playing.

Immediately I was caught by his smooth melody, my eyes closing as the sound reached me, calming my nerves immediately. I let out a breath and leaned back in my chair, letting the music take over as his fingers moved lightly over the keys, drawing out the notes to their maximum length, filling them with emotion. A small smile curved my lips and I no longer noticed the room around me. I was wherever Eric wanted to take me, floating on the music, letting it ease away all my worries as it came to a crescendo before ending with a soft chord that resonated through the silent café. I smiled, knowing that the rest of the patrons were caught in the same feeling that I was. When a few people started to clap, I sighed and opened my eyes slowly, moving my hands up to clap but instead I covered my mouth, stifling my gasp as I saw Mac directly across from me, glaring.

“What are you doing here, Mac?” I asked breathlessly, my heart racing as Eric moved into his second piece, this one much livelier and half my attention automatically focused on his song.