Chapter 16

Dedicated too DyingToLive for making a lovely cover! Thanks!

Enjoy!!!

Chapter 16

He’s right, a voice whispered in my head, you had no right to tell him what to do. What do you know about being someone’s child? Your parents threw you away.

I swiped angrily at my cheeks with the back of my hand but the wetness was replaced quickly with fresh tears as I ran to my apartment, night falling around me. People stared at me as I passed but my vision was blurred by my tears and my mind was too occupied with hurt to notice or care.

I dropped my keys twice as I tried to unlock the door to my apartment building, making me sob out loud before another tenant opened it from the inside, staring at me with wide eyes as I ran past the elderly man and ran up the stairs, managing to unlock my door on my own, slamming it behind me as I sank to the floor and buried my face in my hands, sobs wracking my body as memories flooded my brain of that last night in the police station and the feeling of my heart breaking.

I crawled over to the record player, grabbing one of my Janis Joplin albums and setting the needle on it, trying to see clearly through my freely flowing tears. Finally I got it in position and her raspy voice filled my apartment. I lay flat on my back in the middle of the living room, letting Janis’ words flow over and through me. As I listened to her tales of love and heartbreak, my sobs settled down until I was crying silent tears, leaving two small puddles in the carpet beside my head.

I jumped when the buzzer went off but I didn’t move, knowing that it was Mac and not caring. I couldn’t look at him right now. I’d told him more about me than I’d told anyone and he threw it in my face. The buzzer rang a couple more times and each time, my heart thumped painfully in my chest, conflicting emotions raging inside of me. Logically, I knew he hadn’t meant to hurt me. I’d seen the way being near his mother had affected him and it was obvious that his emotions had gotten the better of him, making him say things without thought.

Emotionally, his words had hit me hard and I couldn’t forget about it just yet.

“Rose!” Mac’s voice said through my door before he started pounding on it. “Rose, let me in.”

I squeezed my eyes shut, causing a few more tears to leak out. “Go away, Mac. Please just leave.”

He didn’t say anything for a second and I opened my eyes again, looking towards the door wondering if he’d really left when he spoke again. “I can’t leave, Rose. I won’t leave until I can see you,” he said quietly but I heard him clearly.

I groaned, knowing he was telling the truth. He would camp out in front of my apartment door all night until I let him in. I lurched upward, getting to my feet slowly, my body feeling sore and drained from all the running and crying.

I yanked open the door, glaring at Mac through my tears as he stood there, his hair messier than usual, his indigo eyes bright with regret and apology. His forehead was creased in a frown as he looked down at me. “Rose, I’m so sorry. I wasn’t thinking and I didn’t mean it.” He moved closer to me and I stepped back, feeling fresh tears gather in my eyes. “Please, Rose, I need you,” he said hoarsely, coming into my apartment fully and shutting the door behind him. “I wouldn’t have made it through tonight without you and the last thing I wanted to do was hurt you.”

I looked up at him through my tears, wanting to launch myself into his arms and wanting to punch him in the face at the same time. “Whether you wanted to or not, you did hurt me, Mac,” I whispered, rubbing a hand across my cheeks in irritation. Where did all these tears come from?