Chapter 31

Okay okay I get it, I suck. You guys so desperately wanted this and I slaaaacked but I'm sorry, okay??? I'M SORRY!!! I had other things on my mind and I didn't want to write crap so I waited until it flowed nicely.

Dedicated to bookwormangel for making a lovely cover!!!

Also, if anyone is interested in entering a romance/humour short story contest run by redstringoffate, check out her site in the external link or you can pm me for more details!

Chapter 31

“How much of that did you hear?” I croaked after we just sat there, staring at each other for a very long moment.

“All of it,” he said easily, his lips stretching into a broad smile.

“Oh god,” I muttered, my heart beating hard as I began to panic. “Let me up,” I croaked and when he didn’t move, I simply slid to the side, letting his head bounce onto the mattress as I stood and headed for the door, intent on escaping before he could say anything else.

I had just grasped the door knob when a strong arm wrapped around my waist and lifted me off the ground. I let out a muffled shriek as he tossed me onto the bed, his knees on either side of me and his hands flat on the mattress beside my ears. “Are you trying to run away?” he said, his voice low as his eyes narrowed down at me.

“No I just had to go to the...” I trailed off as his eyes narrowed further and his lips turned down in a scowl. “Yes,” I whispered, my heart skipping a beat as his hair fell over his forehead.

“Why?” he asked, his voice hoarse as his forehead wrinkled in a frown, his eyes lit with confusion and a bit of anger.

“You heard...the things that I...what I said...I...” I let out a frustrated breath and closed my eyes, finding it hard to concentrate when he was looking at me, his messy hair making my fingers itch with the need to brush it aside and watch it fall right back to where it had been. “I thought you were asleep,” I whispered finally, my heart beating fast as I opened my eyes again, feeling panic in my chest at the thought of what his reply would be. “I didn’t mean...” I croaked, my voice cracking and I had to clear my throat in order to continue but the look on Mac’s face stopped me. “What’s wrong?” I asked as he shifted away from me, sitting on the edge of the bed with his back to me but not before I saw the stricken look in his eyes.

“Nothing,” he said, his shoulders stiff and his back ramrod straight. “Just go to sleep, Rose,” he growled, standing and walking towards the door.

“Where are you going?” I asked, my heart sinking and a sick feeling settling in my stomach as he walked away from me.

He paused with his hand on the door knob, turning his head slightly so that I could see the side of his face but his eyes were hidden in shadows. “I’m not that tired anymore so I’m going to the garage for a bit. You can stay here,” he growled before opening the door and walking out, leaving me in the dim room, staring at the closed door as his footsteps faded down the hallway.

“Breathe,” I whispered to myself as my chest started to heave, my vision turning black at the edges and my lungs couldn’t seem to get any oxygen. I’d just told Mac I loved him and he’d walked out. “Oh god,” I whispered brokenly, swinging my legs over the side of the bed and hunching my back until I was bent in half, my arms wrapped around my torso as I tried to make sense of what had just happened.

I took a few deep breaths, needing my heart rate to slow down so I could think properly and after a few minutes, my brain started to function again, going over the whole scene from where he’d fallen asleep with his head in my lap to where his eyes had flashed with pain and he left. “I didn’t mean...” I whispered, my eyes widening as I realized what he must have thought when my throat had gone dry and I couldn’t finish the sentence.