Chapter 28

Cami's POV

Nothing from Marcel yet.

It's almost 11:00. Where could he be?

Is he alright? He has to be okay, I mean, it's Marcel. He wouldn't do anything. Right?

I keep worrying and my mind is lost in thoughts. I almost didn't notice my phone ringing.

I grab it quickly when I see it's a text from Marcel.

He's okay!

Dear Cami,

I want to say thank you so much for giving me the best friendship I could ever ask for. You're the best person on this earth. Soon, you're going to be without me. I'm okay, I promise. I just can't take it anymore. I'll be happier. I can be with you all the time. You can look up at the sky and I'll be in the star. I'll actually be a star now. You'll always be able to find me, and I'll always be here. Don't try to find me, I want to do this. Really. I love you, Cam. I love you more than you will ever know.

Marcel.

After reading the text, I drop my phone and start crying. He didn't need to say what he's doing, I know. I need to find Marcel. Where could he be? Tears are streaming down my face uncontrollably. C'mon, Marcel. Don't do this.

My phone starts ringing again and it's Anne.

“Did he text you?” she asks, crying.

“Yeah,” I say quietly.

“My baby. My baby Marcel,” she sobs.

“Anne, I'm gonna find him, okay? I promise. I'll find him. He'll be okay.”

“What if he comes home? Should I be searching?”

“Stay home...”

I quickly grab things and put them in a backpack. I don't know what I need, but if he hurts himself, I somehow will have to help him.

“Thank you... If you don't find him...” she stops talking and a sob escapes.

“I'll find him. I think I know where he is.”

He's at the lake.

I jump in my car and try to remember how to get there. Marcel's always driven there.

It's started pouring out. I can barely see anything. There's a ton of traffic on the main road too. I smash my hands into the steering wheel in frustration. I'll never make it in time. But I have to.

I nervously bite my fingernails and tap my foot. My hands are shaking and my heart is racing.

I feel like I'm losing a part of myself.

I pull over to the side of the road and get out. I walk through the woods, trying to get to the lake. The mud and rain is slowing me down. I'm cold and wet and crying. But I have to find Marcel, I have to. It's so dark though, I can barely see anything.

I need to get to him.

With every step I take, I feel like I'm getting closer and farther away from Marcel. Closer to the lake but farther from stopping him. Each step is taking up time.

Step. Step. Step.

Marcel's POV

It's time.

I sent the messages.

I left my notebook.

There's nothing else to do.

I take my first step into the water. It feels nice.

I'm going to just keep walking farther and farther until I'm fully under.

Step. Step. Step.

With each step I take, I'm closer to leaving and farther from living.

The rain continues to fall at a steady pace.

I'm past my hips in the water now.

The water is freezing. I can barely feel my bones. It's so cold that it stings. It feels good though. It's like I won't feel any pain.

I wonder what it's like to die. If your mind just shuts off or if it frantically tries to save you. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I see the reflection of the stars in the water as I continue to walk deeper. I look up at the sky and look at all the stars. I see Marcel the Star sitting up there. It's not as bright as I remember it.

I'm not as bright either.

I'm leaving.

I'm giving up.

Tears are streaming down my cheeks as I look up at the sky.

It's almost over.

It can't be over.

I can't give up.

But I want to give up so badly.

Like Marcel the Star, I have to be here. There is a reason for me to be here. I may not know it yet, but there's a reason. I will do great things in the future. There's so much more in store for me.

At the exact moment I come to this realization, I hear Cami scream.

I turn around and see her running towards me. She runs as fast as she can through the cold water. Her hair is matted down from the rain and her clothes are soaked. Even though it's raining, I can still see her tears.

“I'm sorry,” I say as she gets closer, “I'm sorry. I'm sorry.” We're both sobbing.

She finally gets to me and I relax in her arms. Somehow, she manages to hold me up, because I feel like I'm about to faint. She holds me tight and puts her head in the crook of my neck.

“Marcel, please don't ever scare me like that again,” she says between sobs.

“I'm sorry,” I whisper.

“I wouldn't have been able to live without you.”

“I'll always be here for you. I promise. I'll never do this again.”

“You better not,” she says, unattaching from the hug. She wipes her tears.

“I really screwed up this time.”

She grabs my hand, “No you didn't. Because you stopped. You saved yourself.”

I cried last night from all your messages and comments. Not sad tears though. I can't believe this is saving some of you guys. You're saying I'm an inspiration, but really you are because you're staying strong and not giving up. <3

Thank you all for reading. I love you. Please don't say my chapters are too short. I know they are, it's because I update daily. AND SOMEHOW THIS GOT OVER 400K READS. OH MY GOSH. IT'S MOVED UP TO #8 TOO. I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH ILY.

And also, @PayneManiac made me a cover so I'm posting that picture today! Thank you so much for making it, I love it! :)

Instagram: delicatedreams and 1delicioussss