Chapter 34

Marcel's POV

“I can do this,” I say to myself in the mirror. I run my hands through my hair and take a deep breath.

I'm going back to school.

It's been over two weeks since I've gone to school.

I'm extremely nervous. Everyone probably has their own assumptions as to where I've been. Or they know...

I have to see Ethan again too...

Cami pulls up and I start to head out the door.

“Are you sure you can do this?” my mom asks, hugging me.

“I'm sure, Mom,” I mumble into her shoulder.

She kisses my forehead, “Text me whenever you can, even though I know you don't like to text in school. Remember, you have to go to the guidance counselor this morning. I love you, sweetie.”

“I'll try. I love you too, Mom. Bye...”

I hop into Cami's car and she looks over at me with worried eyes.

“You ready?” she asks quietly.

I nod slowly. She reaches over and gives my hand a squeeze. My nods get slower and slower until a tear slips out of my eye. The slow nods turn into shaking my head no. One tear turns to multiple.

Cami looks over worriedly, not quite sure what to do. She's never seen me cry like this. I can't stop. The tears just keep flowing. I wipe at my eyes frantically, and Cami hands me a tissue. She gets out of the car and walks around to my side.

She opens the door, “Marcel, look at me.”

I can't look at her.

“Marcel. C'mon. Just please.”

I slowly turn towards her, sniffling non stop. She puts both of my hands inside her dainty hands.

“Marcel,” she says quietly, “You can do this.”

“No, no I can't.”

“If I didn't think you could do this, I wouldn't make you go. But I'll be with you all day.”

“You're not in all my classes,” I say through my tears.

She wipes my cheek with her thumb and smiles, “I am now.”

“What? H-How?”

“The guidance counselor thought it'd be a good idea for you to have someone with you all day. So all my classes are switched.”

“How are you going to do all AP classes?”

She waves her hand, “I don't care, I'll find a way. As long as you're okay though, that's all that matters.”

I sniff, “You'd do that for me?"

"I'd do anything for you! I love you."

"What would I do without you?”

She shrugs, “I don't want to know...”

My crying is slowing down now. I can finally breathe normally.

“Are you okay now?” Cami asks.

“Yeah, I'm alright, I guess.”

She hugs me tightly, “Good. Okay, now let's go. Don't worry. You'll be fine.”

The whole car ride, she talks nonstop to try to make me less worried. I'm thankful for that, because it helped. She always knows how to make things better for me.