Chapter 2: Revealed.

Vinnie frowned.

            “Hello.” She mumbled, staring back at the older, bald gentlemen wearing a suit and sitting in a wheelchair. Accompanying him was a taller, much younger lady with long, reddish-orange hair. They were both smiling.

            “You are Ms. Wynters, correct?” The man asked politely. His voice was deep, but smooth and so positive.

            “I… am.” Vinnie answered in confusion. She suddenly began to sweat, and she reached up and wiped her forehead with the back of her hand. “How do you know my name?”

            “It’s wonderful to meet you, Ms. Wynters. We have much to discuss.” The man told her, ignoring her question with a smile on his face that just seemed to grow wider and wider. His bald head was smooth, and reflected the faint light in the room while his face held almost no wrinkles when he smiled. His hands seemed to remain folded on his lap at all times.

            “Um, I’m sorry, but, who are you, exactly?” She asked quietly.

The man’s smile remained. “My name is Charles Xavier, and this is Jean.” He answered confidently, stretching out a hand to introduce the lady next to him who smiled and nodded once in Vinnie’s direction.

Thousands of thoughts flooded Vinnie’s mind all at once.

            “I know you have a lot on your mind. If you let us, we can help.” Charles Xavier told her.

Vinnie was completely confused. She had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, and she was getting a bit concerned. “Uh, come in.” She said softly, stepping aside so the man could wheel himself in.

Vinnie watched while the two visitors entered the living room, and she shut the door. The lady sat down on the couch while the man wheeled himself next to her.

Vinnie shuffled her way into the living room, and sat in the reclining chair across the room. “Look, I’m really sorry, but I don’t know what’s going on.” She half-giggled, folding her hands in her lap.

            “You poor thing. You look like you’re in so much pain.” The lady named Jean said in a soft, lighthearted voice.

Vinnie frowned and cocked her head to the side. “You mean my skin?” She questioned, touching her cheek. “It hurts a lot. It’s almost like a sunburn.” She explained and looked down at her arm. The redness was so splotchy and ugly, but seeming to fade away nonetheless. She sighed heavily, and started fanning her face with her hands as sweat trickled down her face.

            “That is precisely the reason why we are here. We went to talk to you about that.” Charles Xavier explained as he leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees as his clasped hands touched his chin. His smile had faded, and his demeanor was much more serious.

            “You want to talk about my rashy sunburn?” The inflection in Vinnie’s tone changed drastically. She almost wanted to laugh. “Are you guys doctors?” She asked.

            “No. Neither one of us is a doctor, but I am a Professor. Have you ever heard of ‘Professor Xavier’s Institute for Gifted Youngsters’?” He questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Vinnie shook her head. “I have not, Mr. Xavier.”

            “Please, just call me ‘Professor.’” He grinned, but it faded fast.

            “Okay, Professor, um, no, I have never heard of that school. Ever. But of course, I don’t really get out much.”

The Professor and Jean shared a look.