Chapter 13: Conflict.

The entire day was an accomplishment, and Vinnie could not help but walk around the mansion with a smile on her face. The thought of her winning against one of the trainers in the Danger Room exhilarated her, and she even started believing she could beat Logan if she ever got the chance.

Vinnie walked into the kitchen, grabbed a banana for the fruit bowl on the island, and made her way into the living room to watch TV. There were several other kids in there – all of them were guys except for Tabitha. They were watching a big football game, so no one looked up when Vinnie entered. She disliked football more than anything else that was shown on TV, but she decided to toughen it out and spend some quality time with her housemates. She plopped down in between Roberto and Ray, whose eyes were both glued to the TV. Neither one of the stirred or noticed her, but she did not really care. She just peeled her banana silently.

There was a sudden roar from a couple of the boys who jumped up from the couches and high-fived each other. This made Vinnie jumped, and almost drop her banana. She glanced up at the TV… a team scored a… “What was it again?” She thought. Oh, yeah, a touchdown. The boys sat back down on the couch and stared lifelessly at the TV once more like they had been not even three seconds ago.

Vinnie did not know it, but Evan had come up behind them, leaning against the frame of the living room archway with his arms crossed over his chest. He was smiling. He did not care too much for football either; he was more of a basketball guy.

Vinnie could not take the football anymore, and got up from the couch. She had finished her banana anyways, and wanted to throw away the peel. When she rounded the couch and looked up, she smiled when she saw Evan.

            “Hey.” She grinned.

Evan returned the smile. “Hey, man.” He ushered for her to follow him as he turned and began walked back into the main lobby. Vinnie followed.

            “So.” Evan began, “I heard you kicked some major butt today in the Danger Room.” He slyly put an arm around Vinnie’s shoulders. She did not resist.

            “Sure did!” She beamed. “It was pretty amazing, I might add. Although, I may have gained quite the number of bruises.” She looked down at her arms which were indeed speckled with dark spots.

            “But to beat Remy… that’s pretty insane. Remy taught all of us. That guy’s practically a ninja, for real! AND he shows no mercy. I’m surprised you aren’t on crutches, or even in a cast of some sort.” Evan looked down at her, leading her to the large staircase.

Both of them sat down on the bottom step and stared out of the windows to the front of the mansion. It was a beautiful evening.

            “Trust me, he started not caring about my life towards the end. I’m just as surprised as you, honestly.” She mumbled, shaking her head slightly as she stared forward. She sighed heavily just thinking about it.

            “Well, I’m glad you’re not hurt. You think you can survive an actual outing with us?” Vinnie assumed Evan was talking about them fighting the Brotherhood or something. She did not respond right away.

            “I actually have no idea. I’m still not sure what my powers are capable of, and who knows if I can really control them.” She looked up at him and shrugged.

            “Well,” Evan looked down at her, “you don’t have to worry about it. I’m sure it’ll be a long time before Professor X, Logan, and Remy decide you’re ready for an actual mission.” He nudged her playfully with his elbow.