Chapter 7: Outset.

“Vinnie, I am very disappointed. If you are going to continue living here, you have to catch up on your schooling… and getting suspended for the summer is not going to help.” The Professor explained. He propped his elbows up on the desk in front of him and rested his head in his hands, shaking his head.

Vinnie looked over at Logan, who was standing in the corner with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. Remy was standing next to the Professor. He too had his arms crossed, and he stared blankly at the floor. Vinnie swallowed hard, and shifted in her seat, looking over at Evan’s aunt, Storm, standing adjacent to her. Vinnie hung her head and sighed. “Professor, it really wasn’t my fault.” She mumbled.

            “I understand you were not the instigator, but students who witnessed this incident said that you were involved. I also understand that you pushed another student named Pietro.” He looked up at her with a raised eyebrow.

Vinnie gulped.

            “As far as I understand, Evan explained to you who he was, correct?”

Vinnie knew this was coming, and she clenched her eyes shut. “Yeaaaah.” She grumbled, opening her eyes once more. “But he –”

            “You knew better, Vinnie!” Logan cut her off. His voice was so deep and intimidating.

            “I know but –”

            “No ‘buts’, Vinnie. Playing with fire is gonna’ get ya’ burned.” Remy chimed in, interrupting her again.

            “The Brotherhood boys are never to be messed with. You could have been seriously hurt.” Storm added.

            “I understand that, BUT –”

            “You’re lucky nothin’ did happen to ya’.” Remy spoke up again.

            “Oh my gosh, can I just say something?!” Vinnie shouted.

The room grew quiet.

            “What am I supposed to do if he starts messing with me first? I did everything possible to ignore him! I had to sit next to him in class because there weren’t any other seats available! How is that my fault?” Vinnie whined, crossing her arms.

The Professor sighed. “That part is not your fault, Vinnie, but you should have never spoken to him, no matter how much he bothered you.”

            “I tried! Why don’t you people understand that? Evan explained everything to me. I understand how bad that Pietro guy is. There’s nothing I could have done, Professor!” Vinnie explained.

            “Vinnie, why didn’t you go get help from Evan, or someone else?” Storm asked, turning her body towards Vinnie. She now had her arms crossed.