Chapter 19: Choices.

Vinnie turned her head slowly and cried out a little when she saw Logan, Remy, and Evan standing on the shore, staring at the two of them with wide eyes and dropped jaws.

And her worst nightmare came to life.

She watched as Evan’s face contorted, and he balled his fists. Did they see the kiss?

            “PIETRO…” Evan strained through gritted teeth.

Yeah, they saw the kiss.

Vinnie had never seen Evan this angry before. It was scary, and she was frightened for what was about to happen.

            “GET… AWAY… FROM HER…” Evan snarled furiously. Spikes began to protrude from the tops of his hands and up his arms. Four much larger spikes even grew out of his back.

Vinnie knew this was not going to be good. She looked up at Pietro who had a furious expression on his face too. “Guys, no, please don’t do this!” Vinnie grabbed Pietro’s arm, and he viciously jerked away from her. She blinked, and Pietro had moved instantly… right in front of Evan. “No, Pietro! Don’t!” Vinnie cried out as she ran out of the water and up to the boys.

            “What’s the matter, Daniels? You upset ‘cause I got the girl and you didn’t?” A sly, menacing smile stretched across Pietro’s face.  “Or is it just the thought of knowing that I was better and that I won?” He hissed.

Evan’s face was still angry, but surprisingly, he did not react to what was being said to him. He actually ignored Pietro for once, and pushed passed him towards Vinnie. She gulped fearfully.

            “Is it true, Vinnie? You chose Pietro over me, didn’t you? How could you choose him, Vinnie?” Evan’s voice cracked several times. He tried to talk as calmly as possible, but the veins popping out from his neck and arms proved that he was holding back every bit of rage.

He asked too many questions, and Vinnie certainly did not know how to answer any of them. For the first time, she absolutely felt a panic attack coming over her. But she refused to let this happen. “Evan, I’m sorry – ”

            “I don’t want to hear it!” He yelled out, interrupting her. “I can’t believe you! You played me… you played all of us! Did you even like me?” Evan shook his head. “Our kiss… did it mean anything to you?” His facial expression was full of sadness and pain. Vinnie knew this day was coming, but she never imagined it would happen so soon. She did not even have time to prepare. Time to prepare? That was such a horrible thing to think about. She did not have time to prepare on breaking someone’s heart. She shuddered. What kind of person was she turning into?

            “You guys kissed?!” Pietro gasped, crossing his arms over his chest.

Vinnie grabbed her head and screamed. “OKAY, STOP! Evan, Pietro, Logan and Remy, here’s the whole truth! Evan, I’m sorry, but you and I are nothing more than friends. I can’t see us being anything more. Logan, Remy, I’ve been sneaking out almost every day because I’m sick of living in that mansion with all these ridiculous rules! I’m an adult. I should be treated like one! Pietro, yes, Evan and I kissed, but…” She paused, looking over at Evan who looked as if he were about to cry. Everything she was saying was like a knife getting shoved farther into his heart. “But it never meant anything. And just so everyone understands… I… I like Pietro, okay? A lot! And so what if he’s not an X-men… He’s a good guy!” Vinnie tried to explain.

Pietro stood in front of the others with a smirk over his face. This was certainly not helping the situation.

            “Vinnie, please understand that this is nothin’ but BAD. Pietro is gonna’ drive you down the wrong path. You’re going to get hurt if you don’t watch ya’self.” Remy spoke calmly, but that Cajun accent was prominent. She knew he was flaring up with anger on the inside. “At the end of the day, he’s still a part of the Brotherhood, and worse things are gonna’ happen if ya’ choose him, dolly. Trust me on this.” He added.