Chapter 23: Abducted.

Vinnie stared out at the plethora of food that was sitting before her. She had not touched a single bit of dinner on her plate. Her mind was racing nonstop with thoughts and incidences of what had happened throughout the day, and she had not realized that she was anxiously bouncing her leg up and down under the table.

            “You’re lucky I have to bring you back alive.”

            “Ya’ know, this would all be so easy if ya’ just handed ova’ the gal!”

These two phrases played back over and over in Vinnie’s mind with the same exact tone that Sabertooth and Pyro has initially said them in. Were they really talking about her? If so, why? She could not get their images out of her mind. And then there was Pietro… he always seemed to show up in the midst of the trouble, yet he was always there saving her at the last minute. She was grateful for it, but it just seemed so… odd. What was so important that he needed to speak with her about? The more she thought about it, the more worried she became. It was killing her to know.

            “Vinnie, is there something the matter?” The Professor said from across the table, snapping her out of her trance.

That entire end of the table was staring at her now, which made her even more uncomfortable. “Uh, yeah, sorry. I’m just still a little off my game after what had happened back there in the city.” Vinnie cleared her throat nervously. She looked back down at her plate.

            “That’s quite all right.” There was a hint of a smile in the Professor’s voice. “Although, I would like to congratulate you.”

Vinnie looked up slowly, unsure of what he meant. “Congratulate?” She repeated softly.

            “They told me what you did out there.” He said, beaming proudly. He looked over at Logan, Remy, Jean, and Scott who were sharing the same smile. “If it weren’t for you, we could have lost two of our own today. You risked your life to save others, and you did it without any sort of question or hesitation. You sustained injuries in the process, yet you never backed down. We are so proud of you. You are indeed learning more here than we ever thought.” The Professor explained.

            “Honestly, we never thought you’d get to this point. You were always so stubborn and rebellious, we thought it’d take years to break you of it, but you proved us wrong.” Scott added. “Jean and I are proud as well.” He said, wrapping an arm around a grinning Jean who nodded in agreement.

            “Yeah, Blaze. Ya’ve come along way.” Logan growled.

Vinnie looked over at Remy who was staring back at her with the biggest smile of them all. He knew her better than anyone sitting before her, and he did not need to say anything for her to know that he was equally just as proud. He simply winked at her, causing her to blush.

She looked down at the other end of the table. Everyone was staring at her in a sort of awe, especially the ones who had no idea what had happened in the city.

            “Good job!” Kitty squealed beside her. She flung herself at Vinnie, wrapping her arms around her neck. “And, thanks for like, trying to help my ankle.” She said, withdrawing from the embrace.