Chapter 18: Exposed.

Vinnie awoke in the middle of the night to a cold breeze blowing right through her room. It was freezing outside. She sat up, rubbing her eyes sleepily. She had to squint to see in the darkness when she finally realized what was making her room so frigid.

Her balcony doors were open.

Chills dotted her flesh… not from the wind’s temperature, but from the frightened feeling she immediately felt when she saw the doors open and her satin curtains fluttering in the breeze. This was a recurring event… every single night. It was terrifying, but Vinnie certainly was not going to tell anyone. The last thing she needed was for the Professor and the others worrying about her. Evan was the only one she really told about this, but he did not seem to believe her. Anyways, she was already on their constant surveillance for being “wild.” She did not need to give them another reason to keep an eye on her.

But the whole mystery with her balcony doors was indeed bothering her, and she wanted answers, no matter who supplied them. She quickly jumped out of bed and walked out onto the balcony. It was definitely a cold night. Vinnie snuggled into the jacket she had worn to bed. Pietro’s jacket. She never changed into her pajamas, in fact. She was completely comfortable enough, and Pietro’s jacket kept her from totally freezing over. Which was completely ironic to even think about considering she was the goddess of fire.

It was abnormally and unnervingly dark outside. The frosty breeze definitely did not help. Vinnie simply turned and went back inside, shutting the doors behind her, and locking them tightly. She glanced at the digital alarm clock on her bedside table: 5:45AM. She might as well stay awake.

Vinnie walked right out of her room, down the hallway, and down the large staircase until she reached the kitchen. She was starving. As she rummaged through the cabinets, there was a faint cracking noise above her. Someone must have been walking upstairs, but she did not pay too much attention to it. A lot of the students would normally get up to go to the bathroom or something.  

            “Vinnie!”

Vinnie jumped and squealed, clutching at her chest when she saw Kitty’s head pop through the ceiling. “Why do you do that?!” She gasped.

The rest of Kitty’s body passed right through the ceiling, and she fell to the kitchen floor, landing on her feet. “I heard you come out of your room. I couldn’t sleep either. It was way too cold in my room. I couldn’t like, get comfortable.” She jumped up onto the counter to sit.

            “Probably because my stupid balcony doors were open.” Vinnie mumbled, grabbing a plate from one of the cabinets.

            “Well, why were they open? It’s like, freezing out.” Kitty giggled.

            “I didn’t – ” Vinnie hesitated. “I didn’t remember to lock them. The wind must have pushed them open.” She cleared her throat nervously. That was a close one. “You’d never know it was summer with that cold air outside.” She added.

            “Oh. Well, it’s okay. Just remember next time, silly.” Kitty shrugged, swinging her legs back and forth.

            “Will do.” Vinnie said in a rude mumble. Kitty's preppy, cheerleader tone was annoying.

There was an awkward silence. Vinnie grabbed a box of cereal from a separate cabinet, and poured herself a bowl.

            “Is that a new jacket?” Kitty asked.

Vinnie stopped everything she was doing. She had forgotten about the jacket. She slowly turned to look at Kitty, thinking up some way to get out of this mess. “Um.” She mumbled before faking a smile. “No, I’ve had it.” She grinned, turning to her bowl of cereal.