Chapter 20: Apparitions.

Vinnie sat still in her car outside of the gates to the mansion. It had been three days since she left. Millions of thoughts ran through her mind at how she was going to properly approach the situation she was about to walk into. How in the world was she going to convince everyone to let her come back? And IF she was allowed to come back… how was she going to be able to follow those ridiculously painful rules? And then… how was she going to be able to live with Evan again? After he found out about her and Pietro, it was going to be brutal.

Vinnie sighed heavily as she stared at the large mansion infront of her. The longer she procrastinated, the harder it seemed to become. “Ugh!” She growled. “I have to do this, or I’ll be homeless. I can’t afford to keep staying in hotels.” She mumbled to herself. She rolled down the window of her car and reached out to the keypad that controlled the gate doors, and she punched in the code. The gate swung open and she slowly drove inside.

The long driveway seemed to never end. It was almost painful to drive, but she did it, and she stopped right outside of the garage. She cut the engine of the car, and leaned back against the seat. “I don’t want to just go inside and be like ‘Hey guys! I’m back!’” She murmured to herself.

At that same moment, Remy rounded the corner of the mansion holding a pair of hedge clippers. Vinnie perked up and immediately jumped out of her car. “Remy!” She squealed.

Remy’s head popped up from whatever he was looking at on the ground and his face beamed with excitement. “Dolly!” He chuckled. He dropped the clippers and broke out in a swift jog toward Vinnie, and he embraced her when he caught up to her. He hugged her tightly, lifting her up off of the ground slightly. Vinnie giggled as she squeezed him back. When Remy placed her back on the ground, his happy face immediately turned cold. “I should be angry with you for leavin’ us like you did the other day!” He growled.

          “What choice did I have? The Professor clearly didn’t care whether I left or not. He kicked me out anyways. I wasn’t going to stick around to hear anything else. I didn’t need to.” Vinnie shrugged.

          “But why? No one wanted you to leave, dolly. I know the Professor didn’t want you to either. We’re all just tired of ya’ not doing what ya’ should be doin’. We have rules because you’re not a normal human anymore. You’re so much more than that, and there are things that want to hurt you, and obviously we don’t want that to happen! That’s the whole reason why Professor X and Jean came and got’chya in the first place.” Remy’s cajun accent was more prominent now. That was how Vinnie knew he was really serious. “I still can’t believe you’ve been gone for three days! Where in the world did ya’ stay? You didn’t stay with…” Remy paused mid-sentence and narrowed his eyes down on her. He was obviously thinking about Pietro and the Brotherhood.

          “No, no, I didn’t. I have some extra money saved up from my old job, and I just stayed at a hotel.” Vinnie reassured him, and she could see the relief on his face. She looked down at the ground and sighed heavily. “I don’t know anymore, Remy. I honestly don’t know what to think. I can tell you that I’m sick of the rules, and I’m sick of not being able to be myself, and be an adult and everything… but I also miss you guys, and I miss being here.” Vinnie explained in a slight bit of aggravation. “But despite the fact that I have no where else to go, I also know I won’t be able to control my powers without the help of all of you guys. There’s also no way I can teach myself how to fight like you and all the others. I just want another chance, I guess.” She muttered. She prayed she was making the right decision.

Remy stared at her for a few seconds as if he were in shock that she wanted to return, even with all of her demands and frustrations. “Well, you’re certainly welcome back, dolly. But you know that the Professor is gonna’ be even more hard on ya’ now if ya’ return… and especially because everyone knows there’s something going on between you and Pietro.” Remy sighed. “Which I don’t understand.” He mumbled.