Chapter 15: Significance.

Vinnie awoke suddenly from her bedroom door being barged open. Sitting up too fast made her arm hurt, and she winced in pain. How long had she been asleep for? Everyone was out of school for the day, obviously. What a long nap.

            “Vinnie! Did Professor X call you too?” Kurt said, halfway out of breath while balancing himself in the doorway. He was in his sleek red and black X-men uniform.

Vinnie frowned in confusion. “What?” She mumbled.

            “Oh, I guess not.” Kurt bit his lip, regretting that he said anything.

            “Wait, why?” Vinnie questioned.

            “We’re being called to another mission. Apparently there’s more trouble in the city!” He announced. His German accent was really strong when he talked fast. It was actually a little hard to understand him sometimes. And, of course, his blue, furry skin was always a bit of a distraction.

Vinnie's face fell. Another mission? It had only been twenty-four hours since the last attack. Are the Brotherhood boys that relentless? She was disappointed. Word must not have gotten around that she was injured, or Kurt would have never asked her about that. As a matter of fact, she knew that no one knew about her arm just yet because no one had come up to bother her, and even if they did know the leaders would have told them to leave her alone, although the majority of them would not have listened. Definitely not. Especially Evan.

            “Oh.” That was all Vinnie could muster. Yeah. A flush of disappointment was eminent.

Kurt stood there for a second. He sensed her discontent. It was awkward now. She saw Kitty run passed her door. “Well, I’m sorry you can’t come. Maybe next time.” He gave her a fake smile, and POOF! he teleported elsewhere; he left nothing but a small, stinky smoke cloud behind. It too vanished in seconds, though.

Kurt must have thought the leaders did not think she was good enough for another mission right now. This made her feel awful. What are the others going to think now when they see that she was not with them? Will they even notice? Rogue will notice for sure. And Evan, of course. That was a given.

            “This isn’t fair.” Vinnie mumbled to herself, shaking her head. “Just because I have an injured arm doesn’t mean my powers won’t work.” She created a tiny flame on one of her fingers. She watched as the flame danced on her fingertip. This made her grin. She was gaining such control over her powers… and then she thought about how she did not want to let that go to waste. She flicked it to the side, but it burnt out before it even hit the floor.

Vinnie jumped up out of bed and ran to her door. She slammed it shut, and locked it… not that locks really meant anything in the mansion. Kitty could walk through walls, Kurt could teleport, and Evan could pick any lock with his spikes. It seemed pointless, but it was a habit. She ran over to her dresser and grabbed a solid black shirt with long sleeves, and she grabbed a pair of her solid black skinny jeans and black sneakers. Even though it was not her uniform, it was all black, which would help conceal her as she stuck to the dark alleys and shadows. She grabbed her makeup and did her signature “cat eyes” with the dark, thick eyeliner and mascara. There was no way she was going to miss out on any of the action. She wanted to prove that she was not weak… that she could fight even while being injured. But she did not want to get caught. She would stay low… definitely staying back in the shadows while the others fought in the streets. It could be done… right?

She ran to her balcony and swung the double doors open. The SUV and Scott’s sports car left at once and exited the property quickly, and disappeared out of sight. It was then when Vinnie stepped out onto the balcony and shut the doors behind her. She had jumped from this balcony before, but this time she had a hurt arm, and the Professor warned her about messing around with it too much. She did not care.