First Impressions

Rin

"The vampire community," came Mr. Flora's monotone voice, "have recently entered into a protective agreement with the government. The Vampire Security Agreement will come into effect next year to ensure that . . ."

Groaning inwardly, I rubbed my eyes. How long had this been going? I glanced at the clock and this time I did groan out loud. It had been thirty minutes since class started and I already wanted to leave. History was supposed to be about how our country came to be and the government and NOT about vampires and their agreements. They should have named this class Vampire History instead. Everyone knew about vampires. They were on every media platform, newspaper, and billboards. Honestly, this was just a waste of time.

From a wider perspective, humans weren't known for our tolerance and acceptance of other species. Look at slavery; that took so long just for humans to get along. We even fought a civil war. I didn't hold much hope for vampires and humans to accept each other entirely so quickly. We wouldn't see it in our lifetime.

I looked at the blank wall. At this point in the year, I had stopped writing notes. Something about learning laws and agreements put me to sleep. This was for any laws and not just those that concerned vampires. I wasn't going to be a lawyer that's for sure.

There was one the one thing Mr. Flora had never been able to answer was why vampires had decided to join humanity underneath the sunlight.

Once upon a time, I'd been told that vampires had just felt like it and there was no other reason besides that. Suddenly remembering that, I sat up straighter. Focus, I told myself. Focus. There was no use in bringing up unpleasant memories. Not those.

At least the vampires were serious about staying topside. The Vampire King and most of the vampire community campaigned for everyone to get along and co-exist. Major kudos to him. There was a petition floating around trying to get younger vampires to attend school or make the schools co-species, something like that. Whether or not that would get any attention was up to fate. There weren't any laws saying that vampires couldn't attend school but there were also no rules saying they could. Honestly, it was more like parents were unsure if having their children go to school with vampires was a good thing. No one could make up their mind.

Honestly, I was just content to graduate high school and go to college and get a degree in something. As my counselor kept reminding me, I should know what I wanted to do or at least have some idea but, at this point, I was just focusing on not becoming anyone's victim. There might be zone laws and neutral zones out there, but I wasn't going to take any chances.

As the lecture progressed, Mr. Flora showed some slides on the board. He always liked showing us current events. 'We're living history' he would say at least five times during a lecture. However, it was hard to relate to laws that didn't affect you directly.

Mr. Flora had a pear-shaped body, thinning white hair pulled back in a ponytail and always wore the same brown suit. I squinted. Well, it always looked like the same brown suit. I couldn't really judge his fashion sense because honestly, who was I to talk.

All I could say was that I didn't stand out for dressing so nicely. My hair wasn't a big help. I always had it up in a high bun with loose strands of hair all over my face. It wasn't really my fault. I hated having hair in my face. It got in the way.

"The Vampire Prince," Mr. Flora was saying.

This time I wasn't the only one who groaned. Of the twenty or so students in the classroom, the male population and I (that was like what? thirteen?) groaned. All the girls seemed to sit up straighter and leaned in closer. I rolled my eyes. They were obsessed I tell you. They were obsessed with a hundred-year-old (or more) vampire who only seemed to feed on people. No, my bad. Not on people. He only fed on girls. Young girls, in fact.