In a Different Light

Somehow, I convinced myself to walk closer. Hadn't I been the one who wanted to see Alexander in the first place? I couldn't back out now. I wiped my eyes and placed a smile on my face.

Alexander was by the bars immediately. He looked . . . just like I had seen him last. I stepped closer to the bars and his hands were suddenly on mine.

"You shouldn't be here," he told me.

"Neither should you," I croaked out.

His lips pulled into a grin. "How do you know that?" he asked.

My stomach dropped. "Because I know you're being framed," I told him. "That wasn't you in those videos. Carlos is going to talk to Mr. Keys and we're going to figure all this out."

Alexander pressed his forehead against the bars. "Rin," he began.

"No," I quickly said. "Listen, I need to ask. Did you turn yourself in? Or were you really arrested? I mean, what's going on? How is this figuring it out?"

The grin was back. "Is it that important for you to know?" he asked.

With every word, my gut twisted. "I guess it doesn't," I finally said.

I couldn't bring myself to look at him. Our meeting looked so much different in my head.

"Are you getting enough sleep?" he asked. "When are you going back to school?"

"Why are you worried about that?" I asked. "You should focus on getting out of here."

A strange look crossed Alexander's face. "Rin. I -"

"I spoke to your father," I blurted out. "I thought maybe he would help but -"

"Wait. You spoke to the King?"

I bit my lip and nodded. "Honestly, I didn't think he would appear on my house."

"You were on the roof by yourself?"

"That's not important," I insisted. "The King -"

"Rin, don't. I don't want to hear about him."

I opened my mouth and closed it. Did he know something that I didn't? It didn't take a genius to figure out that Alexander didn't like his father. But, the reason had to be something big. Alexander no longer spoke about world domination or enslaving humans to do his bidding. I did believe that Alexander had changed from when I first met him.

"Alright," I told him. "But, for what it's worth, I will get you out of here."

"That's not going to be possible."

My heart lurched. "Wha- what do you mean?" I asked. "Carlos is going to testify. He'll tell everyone that the Purists were responsible. They have proof that you were framed."

Alexander's grip on my arms tightened. "Rin, a vampire will never get convicted."

I shook my head. "What do you mean? We're trying to clear your name and -"

"Someone has to be blamed for all of this," he said. "And it won't be a vampire."

The way he spoke. There was something off about it. What wasn't he telling me?

"I don't understand."

Alexander smiled sadly. "People aren't going to forget the attacks. Someone has to get convicted."

"I know that. It's just - you said - what did you mean by no vampire will get blamed? Did Mr. Keys say something to you?"

The strange look was back and that's when it hit me. I guess I didn't want it to be true. A vampire, regardless if it was Alexander or Micah, would never go to trial.

"Then, someone has to take a blame for all of this."

"Yeah."

"The only person responsible is Micah. He set the whole thing up."

I moved away from the bars, shaking my head. "He has to go to trial. He's the one who hurt all those people."

All Carlos had to do was testify. If he could do that then, Alexander would go free.

"Carlos will never talk to Mr. Keys," Alexander said as if he had read my mind.

I swirled around. "Why not? Sonia said his parents were going to make him."

"If anything, Carlos will be the one who takes the blame. Or maybe it will be all of his so called 'friends'." Alexander turned his back towards me. "So, you see -"

The ground spun. I couldn't hear the rest of his words. This wasn't what I thought would happen. Feeling cold, I pressed my forehead against the bars.

Pat and the others . . . it made sense that they would have to take responsibility for what they had done. And Carlos . . . Carlos would too. 

"So what's going to happen?" I heard myself ask. "Is new evidence going to come to light?"

"I can't say."

It was hard to breathe. I guess I should have known that's how the system worked. I should be happy that Alexander wasn't going to be blamed. I just couldn't stand the fact that Micah would only get a slap on the wrist, again. He would just get away with it. If he wasn't stopped now, he would only continue to torment me. I couldn't let that happen. 

I didn't have to say anything else. Soon after, Mr. Keys and an officer walked into the room. I couldn't bring myself to look at Alexander. Without a word, I walked out. 

The trip back home was a blur. Mr. Keys spoke to me but I couldn't hear him. The same vehicle took me back to my house. My parents still weren't home when I got back. The only thing that kept going through my head was that Micah needed to pay for what he had done. 

A/N

Hey, thanks for reading. I am sorry it took me until now to post anything. Normally, I like to post on Sundays but everything has been so hectic lately. This should be the last time I post on Monday if everything goes well. 

Being of last, the countdown to the end is fast approaching. Y'all been wonderful fans. I can't thank you enough.

 I'm aware that this story doesn't have a cast and that's because I'm terrible at casting. I don't even know where to begin. So, I was wondering if you could help me. If you like, send me a PM with names on who you would cast as these characters. Once I have enough, I'll post up a cast of The Vampire Prince goes to High School. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.