New Bridges

"We'll be in touch, Miss Borek," the officer said.

"Thank you, officer." Mr. keys extended his hand. "If you have any further questions for my client, please contact me an we can get everything settled."

I kept my gaze on the ground as my lawyer finished up with the paperwork and all the polite conversations. The movie theater was filled with policemen and firefighters. Pictures were taken and all the victims had their statement and information written down. Luckily for me, Mr. Keys happened to be in the area. He didn't trust me not to get into trouble and it proved that he was right. 

The imposter had been taken away and Pat was not around. All of this had been a set-up. Did that mean they were testing my conviction or something? Was this just a game to them? What did they hope to accomplish?

"Come along, Miss Borek," Mr. Keys said. "Your parents are waiting."

At this, I looked at him. "You told them?"

"Of course," he replied. "Plus, I'm sure they would have headed down here once they saw the news."

True. 

We found my parents waiting with Carlos's parents. Carlos had been released before I had and stood among them. My mom ran towards me, embracing me tightly.

"Oh honey," she sniffed. "Are you okay?"

My eyes turned. I pressed my face into her shoulder, nodding. My chin trembled. I didn't trust myself to speak.

"Thank you Mr. Keys," I heard my dad say. "It's fortunate that we were in the area."

"Yes well, I had a date," Mr. Keys replied smoothly. "It didn't work out but I was around and came to help."

Even to my ears he sounded convincing. I didn't know how much Mr. Keys was getting paid or who was paying him. He was still here so he must be getting his money somehow.

"If anything comes up, I'll deal with it," Mr. Keys continued. "Go home, rest. And keep the press at bay. Our . . .  acquaintances want to control the story. You understand."

"You're also on their side," Carlos spat out.

I lifted my head and looked at him. His parents held on to him tightly in an embrace but the only person he focused on was Mr. Keys. If his glare could kill, Mr. Keys would be long gone. My lawyer, on the other hand, didn't seem affected by the glare.

"We must choose our battles carefully, Mr. Alvarez," Mr. Keys told him. "Otherwise, we get ourselves into a sticky situation one might not be able to get out of."

"Thank you again," my mom said. "We'll head home now." As she spoke, she rubbed my back. To me she said, "come sweetheart."

* * *

That weekend, I stayed in my room all day. My mom brought me food and stayed with me for awhile. She turned a lamp on and I didn't bother to turn it off. Dad came in sometimes too but for the most part, they left me alone. No one texted me either and that was fine. I didn't check any social media or the news.

I just needed to be alone. The only thought that went through my brain was: why had Carlos lied to me? I knew that I hadn't been truthful to him but, how had he known? Had he really given himself to those terrorists? Didn't he know that not every vampire out there was trying to rule the world or whatever?

With the exception of a few, every vampire followed the rules. Heck, I was sure the vampire mafia also had some rules it followed. Why did this all have to be about who was better?

"It's so stupid," I muttered to myself.

Feeling my eyes burn, I tightened the covers around me. I guess the only good thing that happened was that I managed to clear the Prince's name but I didn't know if that was even a good thing. Plus, anyone could say that this time it was an imposter. The first time could have been the Prince. Well, at least people would start to doubt.

And Pat and her terrorists, they probably named me an enemy alongside the vampire. I was pretty sure the threats would start again. Would Carlos know about this? Then again, he hadn't done anything the first time. Even though we weren't exactly friends, I would never trust him again.

And Sonia, what could I possibly tell her? She could be part of the Purists too. I sighed, feeling guilty. That wasn't fair. I couldn't accuse her without proof. To my knowledge, all she had ever done was give me illegal items.

"Someone has a death wish."

I jumped but didn't get up. No, this was a dream and I was hallucinating. Lifting my head, I looked around the room. The Prince leaned against my window. It wasn't a dream.

"I'm guessing your lawyers sent you here to do something in order for you to be welcomed back into the family."

I put my head down and put the cover for my head. He only ever did anything that benefited him. Of course he was going to be here. Maybe he was going to release me from my contract or something. That would be the day hell froze over.

"I was told what you did," he said, ignoring me. "Why?"

Now, he wanted to talk. "Go away," I said tiredly. "You're the one who jumped to conclusions. I'm done with all of this. You don't care about anyone but yourself."

I felt the bed dip beside me. What was he doing now? I poked my head from underneath the covers. He was sitting down with his back turned towards me.

"Why did you have that thing with you?"

I frowned for a moment before realizing what he meant.

"It was for my protection," I answered honestly. "You're always trying to kill me because I piss you off. No wonder people don't like you. Maybe if you were nicer then stuff like this wouldn't have happened."

"I have enemies everywhere," he whispered. "I can't trust anyone."

"I didn't ask for your trust," I replied. "I wanted to help you. We had a plan." I shook my head. "It's . . . whatever." I sighed. "Are you going to tell me why your father disowned you?"

"No."

"Why are you here?"

"Thank you," he said.

I froze. Did he just - ? I sat up quickly but just like that, he was gone.

Had . . . Had he just thanked me?