Ghosts

"Miss Borek, are you having difficulties with your work?"

Startled, I turned towards the Tutor. I glanced down at my work. The page was empty.

"N-no," I stammered out. "I understand it."

"Then care to explain why you haven't been doing your work?" he asked.

"S-sorry," I muttered.

I picked up my pencil and stared down at the math problem. It wasn't like it was hard to do, it just that I didn't feel like doing it. My mind wouldn't stop drifting . . . to that note. How did it get there? The school was supposed to be secured. Had the break in been reported?

The question was easily answered. I hadn't see any policemen so that meant no. I also couldn't bring it up because that would draw attention to the note which I didn't need or want. Mayne it was all a joke. Someone at school must have slipped it in or something. And yet, I knew that wasn't it.

That handwriting, I knew who it belonged to. There was only one person behind it and . . . I shuddered. No, it was best not to think about it.

"Miss Borek, are you feeling ill?"

I turned back to the Tutor. "Sorry, what?"

He nodded towards me. "Does your neck hurt?"

I realized I was rubbing my neck. "No," I quickly replied. "Just thinking."

Clearing my throat, I glanced back down at my work. The page remained blank. I snuck a look at the . . . Alexander. He seemed absorbed in his own work. Since when did he even do work?

I thought back to before class. He had noticed my reaction to the note. Even the Tutor pointed out by lack of focus. For now, there was no use in worrying about it. They would worry and then talk to my parents. I couldn't let that happen. My parents had been through so much already and I didn't want to worry them. I needed to act like everything was fine. For all of our sakes.

Whatever time I had left of class, I finished as much as I could. It wasn't like I didn't have the rest of the day but I couldn't let my work pile up. I wasn't that irresponsible and someone was bound to notice. It was better to stay off people's radar. At least for the time being.

When the bell rang, I quickly left my seat. If anything, they would believe I needed to go to the lady's room. But I didn't go there. Instead, I headed my locker. The note was still there where I'd left it.

I looked aeound but no one seemed to be paying any attention. I shoved the note into my pocket and went to find Sonia before she got to class. Almost as if she had somehow read my mind, I found her outside her next class. She was flipping through her notebook.

"Hey," I said, walking up. "Do you got a minute?"

Sonia looked at me. "Not really," she said, and walked into the classroom.

There was a pain in my chest. Swallowing thickly, I headed back upstairs. Neither the Tutor or the Prince were in the room when I got back. Maybe they were taking a break.  As quickly as I could, I shoved the note into my back pack.

"That can wait for another time," I muttered.

"What can wait?"

I stiffened and turned around. The . . . Alexander stood by the doorway. He stared at his phone while his numbs moved rapidly.

"M-more work," I stammered out.

"Since when do you talk with that girl?"

"You're following me?"

"Not really," he replied.

I slipped back into my desk. "Sure," I muttered. 

What exactly did that mean? So, was he or wasn't he? Had he seen the note? Had he read it? I tried to stay calm but my heart didn't listen. It lurched like crazy.

"I can't check up on my girlfriend?"

"Since when did I agree -?"

I stopped. Right, we talked about something like that.

"Look," I began. "I . . . yesterday was tough. I . . . can't wrap my mind around it."

"Well then why are you leaving your body guard behind?"

I bit my lip. "Right," I muttered, "sorry."

"You going to tell me what's on your mind?"

"I already told you," I grumbled. "Getting kidnapped was not something you get cured from. It's not so easy."

The Pr- Alexander walked towards my desk and put his hand on my chair. "I know you're lying."

I turned away. What did he know?

"What was that note?" he whispered.

I froze. I couldn't think. He had seen. Had he read it? No, he would say something. He was that kind of person.

"A love letter," I blurted out.

Alexander stared at me with round eyes. He stood frozen in front of me. It was the first thing I could think of. Had I broken him?

"Why would anyone do that?" he asked.

His words punched through me. I was shocked, offended, and I couldn't think straight. What did he mean by that?