Revelations

It was strange seeing Alexander's face on a wanted notice. This - this couldn't be a coincidence could it? There was definitely someone behind this. But, could it be . . . him? 

"Rin," Sonia said, shaking her head. "Do you know anything about this?"

Speechless, I looked up at her. "N-no," I stammered out. "I have no idea what's going on. This is the first I've seen this. Have the police said anything?"

"No," she replied. "I don't know how the media got a hold of this. No one has made a public announcement. Do you think he's been arrested yet?"

My stomach did a flip. I hoped not. Even if he couldn't or wouldn't prove his innocence, Alexander wasn't responsible for any of this. Someone - someone was trying to frame him. But how were they doing it?

If for some reason . . . he . . . had something to do with this, I - I had to tell Alexander. There was no way around it. I couldn't let an innocent person go to jail for something he didn't do. 

"Has Carlos said anything?" I asked her. 

Sonia didn't speak for a long time. "No," she said sharply. "I haven't talked him recently."

"Oh, okay."

Before I realized it, a group of freshmen had surrounded the table. A few of them were crying.

"Tell us this is a joke," one of them wailed. "The Prince can't get arrested. He just can't."

"I - I have no idea what's going on," I told them. "I don't know why you think I would know something."

"You're his girlfriend, aren't you?" one of them asked.

I opened my mouth and closed. "Um, no? Wh-who said that?"

"The Prince. He said you two were dating. Why would you lie about it?"

"Is it because he's a wanted person? Is that why you won't admit it?"

I cautiously got up from my seat. This wasn't going the way I planned. Why would Alexander tell them we were dating? We weren't. He shouldn't have spread rumors about us. 

"Listen," I began weakly. I looked at Sonia for help but she crossed her arms and didn't say anything.

"So much for your love."

I sighed. Regardless of what I said, this wasn't going to end well. "He told me to deny everything," I blurted out. "He said it be safer, but I can't lie to you guys. You're his fans. You know how he is. Deep down he's caring. He doesn't want anything bad to happen to . . . er. . . us."

For a moment, I held my breath. It was the only thing I could think of on the spot. Would they believe it? I hadn't necessarily lied and I hadn't necessarily confessed that we were dating. Technically, I just told them that I couldn't admit to anything. 

They all shared glances. If anything, I placed some ideas in their heads. I cleared my throat. 

"I have to go," I told them. "If I find anything out, I'll let you know."

Before they could stop me, I grabbed my backpack and hauled my butt out of there. Sonia was right behind me.

At her strange look, I said, "I had to tell them something."

She just nodded but didn't say anything. Right now, her approval was not my concern. I had to talk to find Alexander. If - if for whatever reason, this was my fault, I had to fix this.

#

"Hi, is Mr. Kemler available?"

"I'm sorry, he's in an appointment," the receptionist replied. "I can take a message if you like."