The Spy

That afternoon, in the safety of my room, I paced back and forth. I held my cell phone in my hands, my thumb hovering over the screen. Could I really do it? Infiltrate the Purists and get information out of them? I was no actor. Was the Prince's innocence really that important? A part of me already knew the answer. Yes, it was important because otherwise, he would continue to bug me. If I helped him, the contract would be gone and I would never have to see the Prince again. How could I say no to a reward like that?

"Alright," I told myself. "You can do this."

'Hey, Carlos,' I typed in the message. 'Can we talk? This whole thing got me thinking. I'm not exactly sold on the whole top of the food chain thing but -

"I can't let the Vampire Prince run rampant anymore," I muttered. "He needs to be stopped. Period and send."

I held my breath. Would he text back immediately?  Nope. I plopped down on my bed. This was so stupid. Why did I have to agree on this? The better question was: why did I believe the Prince didn't commit that crime? I still hadn't found the answer to that. 

Sighing, I tossed the phone on the mattress and reached for my bag pack at the foot of the bed. With the Prince's help, I was able to convince the front office at school that I needed time away from the school because of recent events. The Prince had said, "consider it a bonus." A bonus for being suckered into helping him out. It's not like I didn't appreciate what he did but I didn't like the thought of owing him. He was the type of . . . vampire that would lord it over you until you repaid him. 

 This will all be over soon, I reminded myself. 

If, and that was a big if, Carlos took me back to the base, Pat and the others wouldn't be too trusting or they will. It could go both ways. However, they wouldn't leave me wandering around on my own. They'll have a surveillance system set up. Before, they didn't check me for any trackers. That didn't mean that they didn't have a communications scrambler with them or some EMP wave emitter. They were that confident in allowing a stranger in - the Purists had the technology to back them up.

If that was the case, they wouldn't suspect Carlos. He was one of them. If I could get a recording device on Carlos, he would do all the work for me. All I had to worry about was he and them discovering that he had one on him. However, that begged the question, where was I going to get a recording device small enough to be planted. The thought went further. I could plant other listening devices and pick them up when I returned. The risk remained. I didn't want to think about what would happen if I was found out. The Prince had promised to protect me. His word counted for something right?

Shaking my head, I pulled out my homework from my bag pack. Luckily, all my afternoon teachers had prepared a copy of the lesson for me, I didn't miss much. There was a couple of reading assignments I had to finish but that wouldn't take long. 

A knock came from the window. He was learning manner rather quickly. I bit my lip. Should I let him in or not? 

"You can come in," I told him.

Then he was there, sitting in my desk chair. I didn't say anything else to him. Instead, I focused on my reading. What did the government have to say about housing laws? I was half-way done with the first page when he spoke.

"What did they say?" he asked.

I glanced up from the packet. "Nothing," I told him. "I send the message. Haven't replied."

His neutral expression didn't reveal his thoughts. A strange buzz came from the mattress. I dropped the packet and lunged towards my cell phone. The Prince was suddenly beside me on the bed, hovering behind my shoulder. I looked at the screen. It was an email.