Unintentional Cause

I gaped at the Prince for a long time. 

"You're a telepath?" I managed to ask.

'You sound surprised,' the Prince answered. 'How else am I suppose to talk when I transform?'

Good point. That didn't make it less terrifying. 

"Can everyone do that?" I asked. "The talking in your head thing?" 

'It doesn't matter,' he said. 'All that matter is that I can do it.'

Right. Shaking my head, I untangled myself from my comforter and stood. I fought down a yawn. Another day going to school. Another day of the same thing. 

'You didn't answer my question,' the Prince began. 

Blankly, I stared at him. "There's milk in the fridge," I told him. "I'll get you some. If you want anything else, figure it out yourself."

I didn't wait for him to speak. From my closet, I gathered some clothes and a towel. Before I could deal with any more crazy stuff, I needed a shower. A very long shower to be exact. I glanced at the clock by my bed, well, it couldn't be that long.

"I'll be back," I threw over my shoulder. "Don't do anything dumb. And don't you tear anything up with those nasty claws of yours."

When I came back from my shower, I found the Prince fully transformed back into himself and sprawled across my bed. I threw the first thing that came to mind - my towel. The whole thing was anti-climatic. The Prince swatted the towel away and it landed on the floor. Maybe that wasn't a good idea, to begin with. 

"Get off."

"The cushion was uncomfortable," he said quietly.

I put a hand on my hip. "I don't have time for your complaints," I snapped. "I have to get ready for school so, shoo."

I shook my hand at him hoping he would leave. If I listened close enough, I could hear my parents downstairs. I could smell the waffles too. My stomach churned. How was I going to tell them about housing the vampire Prince in our home? He could stay as a kitten and, as long as he didn't interact with anyone or anything, he could stay hidden. But, for how long? I could keep him in my house. I needed to clear his name so I could be free of him.

Sighing, I tossed my clothes into my dirty clothes bin. I picked my clothes quickly; a Capri pant and a t-shirt. I shot a quick glance behind me. The Prince was gone from the room. A glanced around the room didn't show any signs of a cat or dog or large animal. Could he turn into an ant or a bee? What about a worm? Hmm, I needed to find out what other shapes he could turn into. Satisfied that he wasn't around, I undressed and pulled my new clothes on. 

I finished dressing quickly. While I wasn't eager to face my parents or talk to them, if I stayed upstairs too long, my parents - my mom specifically - would come up here and I'm sure the Prince wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to do something mischievous. Once finished, I grabbed my bag pack and headed downstairs.

How was I going to tell my parents that I now had a pet? While domestic pets weren't something out of the ordinary, I never really cared for one. What was I going to tell them? I heard noises outside, went to investigate and found a kitten. Yeah, that would make sense. The flaw to that was why would I go outside to investigate strange sounds in the first place? 

"Hey, kiddo," Dad called from the living room.

I couldn't hear the television, he must have it on mute.

"Morning," I said. I adjusted my bag pack and hesitated on the bottom step.

Technically, there was no point in even telling them about the Prince. It was probably better to keep my lawyer in the loop as opposed to my parents. They weren't going to be too happy about all of this.