Negotiations

A/N: I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! Thanks so much for the support! 

I slept and slept some more. Every so often I would wake up, take a look at my alarm clock, and doze off once again. I didn't realize when Sonia left or anything else. My mom came in the room asking about dinner but I couldn't remember what I told her. Her lips touched my forehead and she was gone.

It was 3 am when I finally felt wide awake. Feeling hot, I kicked the covers off of me and just laid there. In the darkness, I stared at my ceiling without a single thought in my head. For the first time in a long time, I felt relaxed. There was no Prince around, no vampires, no one; it was just me.

At least I didn't have nightmares, I thought to myself. Even if I had, I didn't remember them. Everything was just surreal. Why did I have to get involved with vampires? Was the Prince that bored? Why didn't he just go back to sleep or whatever the vampires called it? That would solve everybody's problems.

"I don't want to do this anymore," I said aloud. "I just can't."

With a sigh, I rolled on my side. In the dim darkness, I saw my bag pack. The only leverage the vampires had on me was Carlos. I didn't want him to get locked up and punished for defending me . . . and just like that, lighting struck. I knew how to get out of the contract. The vampire lawyer had said if any harm came to me, I could withdraw. It hadn't been a month yet and I had definitely been harmed. Sure, I hadn't gone to the doctor but mental distress was definitely up there. I sat up quickly and felt my head spin.

"Too fast," I muttered.

Feeling my way around the room, I got my lamp to turn on. The light blinded me for a couple of seconds. It felt like an eternity before I could completely open my eyes. It shook me less than a minute to find the contract in one of the desk drawers. If I remembered correctly, he said it would be on page twenty. Squatting, I flipped through the papers and skimmed over the paragraphs . . . ah, there it was.

"Mom!" I cried out. "Dad!"

I stood and headed towards the door. There was a smile on my face. This nightmare was going to be over soon.

"Don't take another step."

For a moment, the Prince's command stopped me in my tracks. Then I reminded myself that I didn't have to listen to him any longer and kept walking. He suddenly appeared in front of the door with his arms across his chest. His jaw was clenched and his eyes stared intently at me.

"You're not the boss of me," I said. "Now, get out of my way."

Instead of listening to me, he took a step forward. It was a predatory step that made me want to run. Clenching my jaw, I stood my ground. He was not going to intimidate me in my own house. He stopped in front of me with a few inches between us. I willed myself to stay in place.

"I hear you hired some lawyers."

I felt my eyebrow rise. I had? When? I try to keep my surprise under control. How could he know this if I just came up with it a few minutes ago? Then it hit me. My parents. That's why they were acting weird. They had hired the lawyers and didn't tell me. For a moment there, I felt hurt. Why wouldn't they tell me? Didn't they trust me?

"Oh?" I forced out. I cleared my throat. "What of it? Did you come here to threaten me?"

The Prince narrowed his eyes at me. "Do you honestly think you can get away with this?" he asked.

It was my time to smirk. "It seems that this time you have underestimated humans," I told him. "Not only will this contract end, you won't be allowed to be anywhere near me when I'm through."