Audience

"You want me to do what?"

"I - need an audience with the King."

Even as I repeated myself, I could already tell that it was probably a terrible idea. There was absolutely no way the vampire King would even know that some human had requested an audience. And yet, I had to try.

He needed to know that his son was being framed. Plus, if there was anyone who could help Alexander is had to be him. Only the King had the power to do that.

"Are you listening to what you just said, Miss Borek?"

"I'm aware," I told him. "All you have to do is go on the Prince's behalf. I'm sure they'll talk to you."

Mr. Keys sighed. "It's not that simple."

"But -"

"I have to go Miss Borek."

Once again, the call ended. Why were people hanging up on me today? But I wasn't going to give up. Maybe Mr. Kemler would be able to help me. Or even Violet . . . Even if I had to pester people in order to get an audience with the King, I would.

#

"Yes - no, I wanted - yes, I understand - I know it's sudden, but - "

The call ended.

"Thank you for nothing Mr. Kemler," I muttered.

Unfortunately, there was nothing he could do. He didn't have the proper "clearance" to request an audience with the King. I had even tried to contact Violet but I never got a response and the voice mail was full. She had set up a website mostly like a forum where people could come in and ask questions. I sent her a message on there but I doubted she would see it any time soon. 

By the time I realized it, my room had grown darker and my parents were home. Feeling sick, I headed downstairs. It occurred to me that I hadn't done anything productive that day. I had spent most of my day calling people.

"Rin," Mom said walking in. "How was your day?"

Sighing, I sat on the couch. "The Prince got arrested," I told them.

Dad closed the door. "Well," he said. "I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner."

I opened my mouth then closed it. I couldn't argue with that. Mom joined me on the couch. 

"Hon, can you take my purse upstairs?" she asked Dad.

"Sure thing," he said.

Once we were alone,  my mom placed a hand on my forehead. "You don't look so well," she said," but you don't have a fever."

"The Prince is in jail and I can't do anything to help him."

"So, you did grow to like him after all?" she asked.

Under my mom's gaze, I nodded. "You can say that." I shrugged. "Maybe he wasn't the bad guy. Maybe he was just pretending. All I know is that he didn't hurt those people. That's not like him at all."

I snuggled against her and she rested her cheek on my head. "Mr. Keys is his lawyer," I supplied. "He hadn't told me how it's going or if they allowed him to see the Prince."

"Has Micah contacted you?" she suddenly asked.

"I think he called to gloat," I said honestly. "I ignored him though. What did his parents say? When you told them, I mean."

Mom tensed. "They weren't happy, to say the least," she began. "We weren't sure how to tell you. They don't want to believe that their son is harassing you again. They honestly believe that Micah has changed."