The Olive Branch

A/N: It's the next chapter!

The Prince's words froze me. I swallowed the rising panic. He was joking. This was his way of riling me up, I reminded myself. I had to keep calm.

"I'm sure there are some provisions for you in the fridge," I heard myself say.

Provisions? Seriously? Since when did I talk like that?

A low grin curved the Prince's lips. "I want my meal fresh," he said. "I saved your life. It's only fitting that I get something in return."

My eye twitched. "Of course," I forced out. I held out the bottle's cap. "Here, take this as a token of my appreciation."

His grip on my wrist tightened. I glanced at the water bottle. It was close to spilling all over me. I didn't think he would have an extra set of clothes for myself.

"Rin," he began.

"Why do you do this?" I asked. "Why do you always turn everything into a joke? You know I will never allow you to feed from me so stop kidding around. We've just been attacked. You were attacked and now we're here." I gestured to the cabin with my free hand. "What's the plan? Aren't those vampires going to figure out where we are? What makes this place so safe?"

The Prince's eyes darkened. Exhausted, I sighed.

"Look," I said. "Thank you for saving my life even if you didn't mean to but, as they say, we're not out of the woods just yet. I mean, my parents probably know that their daughter didn't talk at the conference and there are going to wonder where I am when I don't go home. I just want –"

The Prince covered my mouth with his free hand. A set of brooding eyes stared at me. "You talk too much," he said.

I frowned.

"The way I see it," the Prince said, "we have a couple of hours before the conference ends. I'm sure security has realized we're missing. Now all we have to do is lay low until we're rescued."

"ughm till nut – "

"What?" The Prince removed his hand.

I cleared my throat. "I'm still not letting you feed on me," I told him. "Check the freezer. I'm sure there's some blood in there. What vampire safe house wouldn't have blood? Oh, and just an update, you're not even close to having me pledge my undying loyalty to you. You're in the negative 'I'd rather die' spectrum."

The brooding look was back. I swallowed. Was he really going to force himself on me? I wouldn't be able to stop him and just the thought – I shuddered. No, he wouldn't. He couldn't. After a few moments, he released me. Some of the chilly water fell on me. I cursed and sat up straight.

I held my shirt away from me while the other hand placed the water bottle on the coffee table. The vampire Prince was nowhere in sight. I looked down at my feet. Had I been too harsh? He had been nice before, comforting even, and serious but now, he was like a completely different person. Did he think I would judge him? I could understand being two completely different people in public and in private.

After a while, I found myself walking into the kitchen. While the water on my shirt wasn't life threatening it was still cold and uncomfortable. Luckily, I found some paper towels underneath the sink and some cleaning supplies. I dabbed the water as much as I could.

"Hello?" I called out. There was no response.

Hesitant, I reached for the freezer door and opened it. A blast of freezing air hit my face. Shivering, I stepped closer and spotted the jackpot. Of course, there was blood in a vampire safe house. If there wasn't, I would recommend firing them.