"He's literally like a real life Norman Bates."

Chapter 2

There was a time when I had loved Lucas. He wasn't always the monster he was now.

Once upon a time, a long time ago he had been a sweet goofy smiling boy. I remember when he was six and I was five, we had gone for a walk in the woods behind our houses. We stumbled upon an open field filled with wild flowers. He has somehow fashioned the flowers into a crown and placed it on my head. I recalled him smiling at me, his wide grin showing off his missing front teeth. "You're the princess stuck in the tower. I'm going to be your knight here to save you from the dragon. Candy I'll always protect you I promise." He leaned in and kissed my cheek.

After we linked pinkies and chanted "Together since the beginning, together from the start, together in the present, together in the end, together forever and never apart."

After that we ran around the field playing make believe; I was always the helpless maiden, he always the knight rushing to protect me.

I would never know what happened to the sweet boy who vowed to protect me. A few years after he became someone I didn't recognize. He had stayed the same adorable boy in everyone's eyes, everyone's but mine.

It was as though I went to be one night and woke up in an alternate universe. I never got an explanation. I don't think I ever would. But my Lucas, my loving and protective Lucas turned into a monster, he became the thing he promised to protect me from.

It was strange really. Looking back on my time with him. It felt like another lifetime.

It was hard to believe that I had once truly loved Lucas. Even after he changed a part of me still cared about him. I always hoped for his redemption. I thought that deep down Lucas would one day turn back into the kind, caring sweet boy he once was.

In this very moment though my gut tore itself apart as I realized that Lucas Avery was beyond hope.

As I stated at the mangled piano I knew there was no way Lucas could be saved now.

The beautiful cherry colored oak had been smashed to smithereens. The ivory keys had been scattered across the floor. The pianos strings laid helplessly among the wreckage.

After I managed to compose myself from my run in with Lucas I got along with my day as though I had never seen him.

I went to my classes composed as ever. Smiling and laughing with my classmates. I had ignored the chatter surrounding Lucas' mysterious return to Saint Mary's. If anyone had even mentioned his name to me I just smiled half heartedly and denied knowing him at all.

After all he got put away right before his sophomore year here. I hadn't even been a student at Saint Mary's while he was attending here. Since Richfield was a half hour away and I was one of the few people from the area and one of the handful of people who didn't stay in the dorms, I was lucky that most of the people attending Saint Mary's were from all over the world. So no one knew of my past involvement with Lucas.

Lucas and I were the only ones from Richfield. Therefore only we knew we had a past.

The gossip mill had been going off the chain since Louise Anne's first sighting of Lucas at exactly 7:52am, eight minutes before the first warning bell went off. Not five minutes later was everyone talking about the return of the crazy psycho manic.

"Can you believe they even let him back here? I heard he killed his cell mate and ate his organs. Apparently he thinks it'll make him immortal."

"Do you even know what got him locked up? I heard from a friend of mine that grew up with him that he liked to stick his pricker in small helpless animals. No joke."