"ARE READY FOR YOUR DAILY NUTRITIONALLY RECOMMENDED PORTION OF HUMAN FLESH?"

Chapter 17

I walked through the door of my house and flinched at the sight. My mother was sitting at the kitchen counter her back facing me talking to an all too familiar figure. I couldn't help but internally grimace at the sight.

At this point I shouldn't be shocked about seeing Lucas at my house. After all he slept with me every night. And ever Friday he and his parents would still come over to eat dinner with us. Attendance mandatory, no excuses accepted besides maybe an invitation to join the Order of the Phoenix; but even then my mother might have had some grumbling about it. Death could possible be an good reason to miss dinner.

"Candy! It's wonderful to see you!" Lucas called out to me his deep voice reverberated through the room. His back was still to me, he had not turned around. As I walked closer to him I noticed he was cooking.

Look at that, H. H. Holmes, a master chef in the making. I hated to say it, whatever the crazy guy was cooking smelled really good.

"Hi." I said quite sourly. "Cooking dead babies for dinner?"

"Nah! They're an appetizer. Prepared tartare. Dinner is the flesh of my enemies."

"Honey!" My mother practically yelled. My mom the forever child everyone, without a care in the world. She totally ignored the cannibalism comments. She jumped from her seat and ran to hug me. "I missed you," she said and she squeezed me. "I'm so sorry I've been so busy lately. A lot has been going on at the hospital and their short nurses. Figures right? Anyways I'm sorry I missed the Exposition. I know how hard you worked on planning it..." she tapered off. Remembering that I had been kicked off the committee "Fuck them!" She continued with a new sense of vigor. "You did all that work to get no credit. It wouldn't have been such a big success as it was without you. They literally let you do one hundred percent of the work and took credit for it. That's just bullshit."

For a minute I felt resentment towards my situation. I hadn't done anything wrong. I worked hard, I played nice and yet I was treated like Hester Pryne. For what? Not wanting to be a bitch to people? For being a victim of circumstances. I was bitterly angry with everyone. Craig, Wendy, Emmet, Tinsely, Tony - the whole fucking school. They could all go to hell for all I cared. The only person who has been honest with me this whole time has been-

Lucas.

I swallowed and tried to shove my emotions down. I didn't have time for this. I wanted to be happy, I wanted to be uncomplicated. I wanted my mommy. I smiled at my mother. I just reached out to hug her again. "I love you mommy."

She stiffened for a moment. Then hugged me back even tighter.

I was enjoying the moment of complete safety when I felt big arms wrap around the both of us. "Group hug!" Lucas said as he encompassed us with his long arms. "I felt left out." He said almost as if he was sad. But as I looked up at him I just saw mischief in his twinkling brown eyes.

"Bitch." I silently mouthed at him.

He just smirked that freaking smirk of his in response.

My mom continued to giggle like a school girl. And our embrace ended.

Lucas walked back to the stove and mom and I sat at the counter and just watched.

"So I feel a little guilty letting you cook Lucas." Mom said with that shit eating grin that proved the opposite of what she just said.

"Now now Ms. W we all know here you don't feel guilty at all." Lucas said with an exact matching grin on his face.

"You're right! I don't! Too bad they couldn't have put you under house arrest instead of jail...you could have stayed here and worked your debt off to society by being a house elf!" My mother said in her I'm up to no good sing song voice.