Chapter 13: Jasmine

The mood in the castle picked up as Brae's coronation approached. Plain funeral clothes were discarded in favour of Arcan finery, which meant plenty of sparkles.

The castle itself was transformed. Devon was in charge so, naturally, it looked amazing: chandeliers were put up in the main hall, fresh white flowers were brought in from all over the Realm and fairy lights were draped everywhere. The white marble floors were polished until they shone, the glass ceilings glimmered and the great hall was readied for the banquet that would follow Brae's crowning, with long ghost-wood tables and hundreds of chairs.

In keeping with Arcan culture, the coronation itself would take place on the top of Bryer hill; the highest point in the city and-as a result-the windiest. Brae was almost as busy with the preparations as Devon was, as every time I saw him he was in discussions with someone or other: making decisions about the menu; the music; the people who would sit on the top table with him. For once, I wasn't being relegated. The banquet after the coronation was Brae's celebration and he could sit with whomever he wished.

I woke up on the morning of the coronation with butterflies in my stomach. The eyes of the Realm would be on Brae and I was desperate for everything to go well for him. I rushed to get ready, showering quickly before firing up flames in my hands to evaporate the water from my body. Perhaps, if I really mastered my powers, I would be able to shower and dry myself with them. There was also probably a better way of using my Helian powers to dry myself, but this worked well enough for now. If Roxy and I were on better terms I could have asked her for advice...

I hadn't been to see her again since our argument. I was desperately putting it off. I knew that I had to tell her that we were sisters, but I couldn't even begin to think about how I would phrase it. I didn't want to get it wrong and make things even worse between us. I sighed at my reflection. I had made such a mess of everything.

But I didn't have time to mope about it now. I would fix things with Roxy on another day.

Instead, I focused on getting ready for Brae's coronation. I brushed my hair, pinning back a few ringlets from the front so that they didn't tumble round my face in a complete mess. The purple hadn't increased much recently. With everything that had been going on, I hadn't been practicing. I no longer had Rowan to teach me how to control my Brizan powers, and Brae was far too busy to practise fire with. Once things had calmed down, I needed to get back to work.

I put on the dress that Grace had had made for me while we were away. She knew that the coronation would be coming up at some point soon, and felt that the best way to prepare for it-and what it meant-would be to focus on the clothes. It was a gorgeous dress; the most beautiful thing I had ever worn. The top half was sheer, with little capped sleeves and was covered in tiny, glimmering crystals, while the skirt went down to the floor in an explosion of tulle that made me feel like an ice princess-or perhaps in this case, an Arcan one.

The coronation wasn't starting until mid-morning. But by the time I was done getting ready, I didn't have a second to spare. I grabbed my thick grey coat, another, extremely thoughtful, gift from Grace and rushed to the foyer, so that I could leave with the others.

As well as providing much needed warmth outside, the benefit of the coat was that my rather over-the-top dress would be hidden until the banquet-which meant that Brae could appreciate it fully when he wasn't looking quite so green with nerves...

He was alone in the foyer when I arrived, dressed in a white shirt and jacket with silver detail and light-grey trousers. His hair shimmered like liquid silver, which perhaps wasn't a good thing, given how pale he was looking. I rushed to his side, taking both his hands in mine and squeezing them.

I went to kiss him lightly on the lips, cautious that the others could arrive at any moment and not wanting to embarrass him on his big day. But he wound his hands around my waist and held me tight, capturing my lips between his and kissing me slow and deep. It was like fireworks on Calypso day going off in my stomach. Even though I was wearing heels, I lifted myself up onto my tiptoes automatically, desperate to get closer to him. I wound my own arms around his neck, bringing him in closer to me. Taking in his scent, the softness of his skin, the heat of his body pressed up against mine...

"Ahem," a voice sounded behind us, causing us to break apart quickly.

"President Terra," Brae said curtly.

"Sorry," Tristan said, looking anything but. "I didn't mean to interrupt." Tristan was dressed in what I assumed was formal Sephan attire: brown trousers, a sand-coloured, hand-stitched shirt and his usual fur trimmed boots. What was odd, however, was that his hair seemed to sparkle in the sunlight streaming in through the ceiling. It was almost as though he was trying to look like an Arcan. He saw me watching him and his eyes locked on to mine, his eyebrow cocked with unspoken questions.

I could feel the heat spreading across my cheeks, making my fingers tingle. Embarrassment flames? That wouldn't be helpful.

I was saved any more awkwardness by Devon and Brody's arrival. "Hey, guys!" She grinned happily, holding Brody's hand tightly. Things had been going well for them since we had arrived back in the Arcan Realm. "Jazz, why are you hiding your dress? Let me see it!"

She grinned and started towards me, but I pulled my coat around me protectively, glancing at Brae before saying, "Later. It's a surprise."

She gave me a frustrated glare but didn't protest any further. "I wish Imogen was here. She would make you show us."

"She'll be back in a week or so," Brae replied, winding his arm around my waist to pull me towards him. "But right now, we need to get a move on. They'll start without us otherwise!"

***

"The Air God grants you the highest power over his people and his lands. How will you serve them?"

"With everything I have, as the Air God wills."

"How will you live?" Caleb asked, his voice solemn and sincere.

"With piety, justice and tolerance," Brae replied, his face just as serious.

We were standing around them in a large ring, coming to the end of half-an-hour of scripted questioning. Brae had been memorising the traditional answers for days. The winds were kept up by Devon, Cameron and the only other two Arcan Protectors, besides Imogen and Grace, both of whom were too old for anything more taxing than this symbolic duty.

Tears glistened in Grace's eyes as she watched Caleb say the final words. "The Air God entrusts his Realm to you. May you lead it well." He stepped forwards and placed a gleaming silver crown on Brae's head.

Cheers and claps erupted around us. Brae smiledwith relief. 

{Some interesting guesses for who is making a reappearance in the next chapter, but I haven't seen a correct one yet. Would it help if I told you they're coming to stir up some trouble?}