Chapter 59: Roxy

Cinaer was easy enough to find. His and Brae's fight was the largest and the most destructive. I darted across the battlefield, my eyes focused only on the boys. That was why I didn't see the knife until someone called my name. I turned my head just in time to see the glint of silver come hurtling towards me and closed my eyes, braced for the impact. But it never came. When I dared to open them again I found myself alone; the battles raging around me oblivious to my presence. Before I had the chance to wonder what had become of the knife, I was caught up once again in the spectacle of Brae and Cin's fight.

A tornado of winds encased the pair, flying with branches, heavy objects and even an unfortunately lightweight Helian.

I dove through the walls of wind and into the calm of the eye.

Brae and Cin were fighting hand to hand.

My body froze as I watched them for a moment: Brae threw a left hook which Cinaer dodged with characteristic ease, a grin spreading across his face. But he didn't see the upper cut that followed it, or the kick to his torso. However he did use the shift in weight to connect a kick of his own, following it with a swift flurry of punches which Brae was only able to dodge some of. A huge rock flew in from the left, knocking Cinaer back and giving Brae a chance to catch his breath. Breaking off from the physical attack, he sent another boulder in Cinaer's direction, but missed when he had to dodge right to avoid a flurry of flames. The winds were so intense I had trouble watching them through the tendrils of hair that continually caught over my eyes. All I could make out were explosions of fire and flying debris.

"Cinaer!" I shouted, interrupting.

Cin turned instinctively towards me, giving Brae the chance to sweep his legs out from underneath him, sending him crashing to the floor.

I dove into the fray, desperate to leave my mark on Cin. I tried to land on top of him, pinning him to the ground, but he used my momentum to throw me straight off and jumped to his feet, a silver dagger gleaming in his hand.

I had seen it, but Brae hadn't. As Brae went in for another attack, Cinaer thrust his hand forwards, burying the metal deep into Brae's gut.

I screamed, jumping to my feet and launching myself, once more, at Cin. His grip was knocked from the dagger and he fell to the floor, but his arm found its way around my neck. He pulled tight, choking me. My fingers continued to grapple at his arms, while my legs kicked out desperately. But as my lungs emptied of oxygen, it grew more and more difficult to coordinate my limbs.

My vision was growing black, my head felt like it had been stuffed with clouds. I couldn't defend myself as Cinaer lifted me to my feet.

He grabbed me sharply by the hair, dragging me backwards towards the last remaining drakon.

Tristan had his back to us. He was just beginning to loosen the chain. Jasmine was watching him, her back to the fight. I tried to call out to them, but the battle around me was too loud. My head was too fuzzy, my body was refusing to work on such little oxygen. There was nothing I could do.

They didn't notice as Cinaer climbed up onto the drakon's back, dragging me up with him.

As the drakon beat its mighty wings and ascended into the air, the last thing I saw was Brae's eyes, opening and locking straight onto mine. He shouted something, but it was too late. Cin and I were airborne.

{Poor Roxy! Let me know what you think might happen next in the comments (and don't forget to vote!}

Air {Elements of Power 3}On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara