Chapter 53: Roxy

We prepared to leave at once. The castle became a hub of frenzied activity. Brae put me in charge of the preparations and led Jasmine off to a quieter room, so that they could discuss Cinaer's location. He was also trying to get her out of the chaos, in the hope that she would calm down. We needed her out there. She was our best weapon, as mercenary as that sounded.

Rallying the troops was harder than I would have expected. Members of three very different Realms-two with a decades old vendetta against each other-who really didn't want to work together. The Helians wanted to leave at once, the Brizans wanted to wait until nightfall, for a sneak attack.

At this point, we didn't even know quite how far we would have to travel to reach Cin, but Brae had told me to get everyone ready, so I was preparing to leave at once. The Brizans, of course, assumed that I was just siding with my 'own people' and were taking offence. The Arcans were a little more laid back, but their Protectors-the ones actually coming on the mission-were younger and less experienced. The Arcan Protectors were all either under twenty, or over sixty; something I think my Grandfather had more to do with than he ever let on.

Brae's mother was preparing the castle for our absence; she would be remaining behind to oversee the capital and to keep Queen Aurelia company. The Brizan Queen was neither a Protector nor a soldier, so there seemed little point in bringing her along. Both Queens would co-ordinate the rescue effort in the city and would also be around if Cinaer was only luring us into a trap and was planning to attack the city while it was unguarded-a plot only a single Arcan Elder seemed to believe credible. Queen Aurelia also had an interest in healing, my father had told me, and was going to volunteer in the Arcan hospital. I found the idea of the stately Queen getting dusty and dirty in the war zones of the city rather unbelievable, but at least I wasn't having to talk her out of coming with us.

Cameron and Imogen had already met in the entrance way when I made my way down there, dressed in pale trekking outfits and carrying backpacks of provisions. And, of course, where Imogen went, Kit followed, his blond hair tousled and his eyes shining brightly. His arm was wrapped tightly around Imogen's waist, supporting her. Even when stationary, the Arcan could barely hold her own weight due to her heavily bandaged ankle and torso. But she had insisted on coming and we needed the numbers. The group were discussing in low voices, but broke off when they saw me approaching.

Before I had the chance to ask them what was going on, the Helians arrived: my father, Vincent, Raphael and Avery. Three Protectors, one seasoned commander. My father would be in charge of battle plans; I had already convinced Brae that he was our best chance of capturing Cinaer. He would devise a plan once he knew more about where he was headed and would brief us en route. It was disappointing that we couldn't wait for the Helian backup to arrive, but at this rate the fighting could all be over before they were halfway here.

Avery smiled at me, pumped for the fight ahead. "I can't wait to give Cinaer a taste of his own medicine." She grinned, flames flaring at her fingertips. I nodded at her, but couldn't quite bring a smile to my face; I was stressed and I didn't like it. I wasn't used to feeling like this. I wasn't used to feeling vulnerable, exposed. I knew that we had the odds in our favour: we had Protectors from three Realms-four if Tristan was in a position to join us when we found him. But there was still so much we didn't know: Cin's numbers, what Tristan had told him. Would Jasmine's ability to control her lightning be a surprise? How many drakons did he still have?

I didn't like it at all.

I was distracted from my worries by the arrival of the three other Brizan protectors. There would be fourteen of us. Plenty of Arcans had asked to come along, seeking revenge for lost loved ones, homes and possessions, but Grace had turned them away. Untrained men, fuelled by passion and anger, would only hamper our plans and get in the way.

I tapped my foot on the marble flooring impatiently. Where were Brae and Jasmine?

They appeared moments later. Jasmine was dressed in the same gear as the Arcan Protectors and was more composed than when I had seen her last, although she still looked shaken.

Brae stood in the middle of the entrance way, the others gathering around him.

"Cinaer is close-only half a day's hike, in the middle of one of the Arcan Realm's thickest forests. The route will be tough and tiring-not the best preparation for a fight, but if we don't move quickly we will lose the element of surprise. Cinaer doesn't know that we're coming for him. This will be our main advantage when we attack."

His mother and Caleb came into the entrance way and he moved the Arcans over to Caleb's side. The old man began to pray at once and the Brizans began to say prayers of their own. We were left adrift as the words washed over us: Helians didn't pray for help or good fortune before a fight-it suggested an element of doubt in our abilities.

Once they were done, we turned towards the door, but they opened ahead of us. The Arcan boy, Brody, stood in the door, his face red, his eyes puffy.

"You!" he screamed, pointing his finger at me.

"What?" I asked, incredulous. I hadn't seen him since his last melt down. What the flames could be wrong now?

Oh.

"No!" It was Jasmine who spoke, but her cry was echoed by Imogen, Cameron and Brae. "No. She can't be. Brody she can't." Her voice was high and frantic. She was losing control again.

"Devon... Devon is dead, so now you have to die too." His eyes locked on to mine and he lunged.