Chapter 57: Roxy

Every cell in my body was screaming at me to go straight for Cin, but in the chaos of the battle's opening manoeuvres I immediately lost sight of him. Instead, I found myself in front of the twin Protectors, who had cornered Brody by the first drakon.

"Looks like we've caught ourselves an Air Head," the girl said, a cocky smile playing on her lips.

Brody was instantly poised, ready to fight. But he would be no match for two Helian Protectors-even juvenile ones.

"What are you? Ten?" I laughed, stepping in. Flames were already flaring up brightly in my hands. "Have you actually produced any fire yet? You don't look anywhere near ready for this sort of fight."

"We've been doing pretty well at raining down destruction on these pathetic Arcans for the last few weeks," the boy replied, frowning.

"But you haven't had to face another Protector, have you?"

"What are you going to do? Your flames can't hurt us. Why are you stepping in to save an Air Head?" the girl spoke again. Her eyes were a muddy brown, with none of the warmth of my own, but she tried to stare me down anyway.

She flicked her short dark hair and poised herself to fight. I couldn't help but laugh-her stance was wooden and too wide, her fists were clutched in front of her eyes, blocking her view. She was clearly in the very early stages of her training; if she had even started it before Cin had recruited her. I ought to pity her and go easy on her. But she was being arrogant, and she needed to be taught a lesson.

"Actually, I've been rethinking my definition of 'Air Head' recently; it now applies to ignorant little children who blindly follow maniacs like Cinaer."

While her eyes were blocked, I hit her with a kick to the stomach which she didn't have a hope of seeing coming. I swung straight off of it to aim a second kick at her brother, who was watching more carefully and jumped out of the way. But he didn't quite manage to parry the punch I threw next, or block my successive kicks to his kidneys when he spun away from me. He went down, but was quickly back up, just as the girl launched herself through the air, straight at my back.

Such a stupid mistake. I dropped my right shoulder and rolled it forwards, tossing her off, over the top of me and straight into her brother. They barrelled over and rolled a little way down the hill. They would be back, but I had a few seconds at least. I turned back to Brody, but he had already vanished into the melee. I didn't have time to worry about him now. Spinning round, I instead called across to Jasmine.

{Really sorry this didn't get published on Monday due to family illness. Read straight on for the next chapter - but don't forget to vote and comment first!}