Chapter 61: Roxy

As the air came back into my lungs, oxygenating my weakened body, I began to fight against Cinaer's hold.

"You're not getting away from me again, Roxanne," Cinaer growled, pulling me against him.

"I would rather plummet to my death, right now, than go anywhere with you!" I snarled, my fingers tearing against the skin of his arms.

The drakon stopped, stabilised. It seemed confused.

"Home! You idiotic creature! That way!" Cinaer loosened his grip on me so that he could kick the drakon beneath him instead.

I started to wiggle out of his grasp, towards the edge of the creature, when it pitched in a sudden current of wind.

I screamed as Brae's face came level with mine. His face was pale from blood loss and he was still clutching his side.

"What the-" I started, but Brae didn't let me finish.

"Let her go!" Brae demanded, locking eyes with Cinaer.

Cin's own eyes were wide, but he wasn't thrown. He knew that he was in the stronger position on the drakon's back.

He released me completely, sending a ball of flames in Brae's direction. Brae dived-flew? My brain refused to process the word-out of the way and sent back a whirlwind of his own.

But this served only to panic the already unstable drakon. It pitched again before veering right and nearly colliding with Brae's torso.

As the drakon grew closer, I saw my chance and leapt off its back and into Brae's arms.

He let go of his wounded side at once and caught me tightly, clutching me to his chest.

"Don't drop me. Don't you dare drop me," I said, keeping my eyes firmly upwards, refusing to look down.

The drakon was panicking even more following this sudden shift in weight, it veered straight towards us. As its body tilted, Cin began to slip.

"No! Stupid creature! Right yourself. I'm falling... I'm falling off!" He tried to improve his grip on the drakon's scales, but succeeded in tearing one from its root. The drakon screamed and toppled wildly. Cinaer reached out towards me, desperate to stay airborne. He leapt, grabbing hold of the both of us, his nails scratching painfully down my arms. But this movement proved too much for the disorientated drakon, which came with him, colliding with Brae and knocking Cinaer's grip. As Cin began to fall, the drakon swerved once more, sending out a torrent of blazing flames.

This wasn't a problem for my Helian skin, but as the fire touched Brae he lost his fragile hold on the winds and we fell to the ground along with Cin.

I tried to hold on to him as tightly as I could, but as the floor rushed up to meet us, everything turned black.

{Double chapter post today as I thought they were too short to post on their own. Only three left to go!}