Chapter 33: Roxy

"So Caleb is interesting," I had made it as far as the palace doors when I encountered Brae coming out through them with a retinue of guards, including the other male Protector, Cameron.

"You met Caleb?" Brae looked shocked. "Is he here? Does he want to speak to me?"

"No, he's back at home." I gestured to the new clothes I was wearing. "Peace offering. From Jasmine. Although now I think she hates me again."

He ran his hands through his already haphazard hair; he looked terrible. I didn't think he had been sleeping properly.

"You told her then?" he asked.

"I had to. I couldn't keep it from her. She was apologising-again-for abandoning me and talking about how we were sisters." Frustrated flames flared in my fingertips, causing a couple of the guards to tense. I felt an icy chill run down my spine as a result of Cameron's alertness. Brae gave a brief wave of his hand, trying to reassure them of his safety. "I couldn't take it," I added.

He sighed. "I'm heading out to the hospital; I want to check in on Casey and Alana. Would you like to come with me?"

"I might do if I knew who Casey and Alana were."

Brae looked concerned. "The children you helped rescue the other day, who were trapped under the rubble. The doctors say they're both recovering well, but I would like to see for myself... I'm not sure anymore whether people are telling me the truth, or telling me what they think I want to hear."

I nodded. Brae had enough to contend with at the moment, without preoccupying himself with a couple of Arcan kids. I ought to go with him, just in case it transpired the doctors had been lying. "Sure, I'll come. I'm dressed for the cold now, so I might as well keep putting up with it!"

We walked a little way along the deserted Arcan streets before Brae spoke again. "So Jasmine didn't take it well then?"

"She tried to; she gave a really good show of not caring. She even tried to pretend that she had moved on-she told me that she'd kissed Tristan!"

"What?" I studied Brae's reaction carefully. He didn't look jealous-just concerned.

"She said that she and Tristan kissed, last night," I continued.

"Well, last night," he started, looking weary, "The Brizan Head Protector broke into the castle and tried to murder Jasmine. Tristan killed him."

"What the flames!" My eyes widened in shock. Jasmine hadn't said anything about that!

"Tell me about it-if there isn't enough going on already." He put his head in his hands, his shoulders slumped.

"How did he manage to get in? I mean-"

"If he can get in, Cinaer probably could too? Yes I've already thought about that. I'm not sure you're safe, Roxy. I'm not sure either of you are safe."

I laughed. "I don't think Jasmine needs protecting-I'm shocked she needed Tristan to kill a Brizan off. Those powers of hers are pretty amazing. If I was looking for a bodyguard, I know who I'd be asking... If she was talking to me, anyway."

"Well that's a shame," Brae said, his fingers brushing against mine for a moment before he took my hand in his. "I was rather hoping that you'd let me protect you tonight. It was the only upside I could see to this whole disaster."

I laughed and we came to a stop as I leant across to brush my lips against his, revelling in the coolness of his skin, the icy touch of his nose on mine. I didn't mind the cold if it was with Brae.