Chapter 49: Jasmine

"There is no way I am wearing that - could there be any more fabric on it?" Roxy was scowling from behind a silky white dress with long, billowing sleeves and crystal detail on the collar. The dress was Imogen's, since her clothes were both nicer than mine and also more likely to fit Roxy's slightly taller and more muscular frame. If things had been different, I could have just taken her to a store to buy something new, with the help of Imogen and Devon. Then again, if things were different I probably wouldn't be offering to help my half-sister get ready for a date with my best friend and ex, who I was still more than a little bit in love with, even if I knew it was a lost cause...

I sighed. I hadn't realised that it would be easier to get Imogen to agree to have her clothes borrowed ("just don't let her burn anything, okay? And I really think that you ought to sabotage her in some way, so that she ends up looking ridiculous and Brae comes straight back to you.") than it would be to convince Roxy to actually agree to try any of Im's clothes on. To me, they looked gorgeous: soft fabrics; delicate colours; sparkles that would look like they had caught fire when Roxy's hair was reflected in them. They were elegant, sophisticated and unmistakably Arcan. It was this last point which seemed to make them so unappealing to Roxy.

"Are you sure there isn't anything shorter? Or slightly lower cut? Or maybe even brighter - I'd settle for a multi-coloured sack at this point! All of these dresses are going to make me look like a prudish ghost."

I laughed. To an Arcan, there was nothing remotely prudish about Imogen's outfits. It just didn't make sense to walk around wearing only an inch of fabric in a Realm with such plummeting temperatures. Our fashions had to be beautiful and practical.

I pulled out two more dresses to add to the growing pile on Imogen's bed. The first was floor-length, however this one was sleeveless. It was designed to be worn with a gorgeous lace jacket, although Roxy could always leave that off. The second was shorter, but had long sleeves. The sleeves and back were fashioned from an almost sheer lace, which I thought Roxy might be able to count as 'revealing'.

I already had a good idea what Roxy would say about the first one and she didn't disappoint: "Whoa! What's with the glitter explosion on that thing? Was the dressmaker blind? Is there actually even any fabric holding all those sequins together?"

"I'll take that as a 'no I don't want to try that one on either' then. What about this one?"

Roxy considered it for a second, frowning. I spun the dress around so that she could see the back and she bit down on her lower lip. "Okay," she said slowly. "I will give it a try. There can't be much left in there now anyway," she added, her eyes sceptically taking in the mountain of clothes we already had out.

"You'd be surprised! If wars could be won with shopping, Imogen would have this one in the bag."

"Avery might be able to give her a run for her money. Her clothing has decidedly less fabric though, so there would probably look like there's less of it."

"Okay then," I posed to her as she went into Imogen's bathroom to change. "If you were in the Helian Realm right now, getting ready for a date with a Helian guy, what would you be wearing?"

She laughed. "That's easy. Something short, black and hard to take your eyes off."

"Huh. I was expecting more colour."

"That would come in with the shoes and accessories. I do wear a lot of red too though. I was wearing a red dress the first night I met Brae - that was an outfit you could make a statement in. This... It screams: ignore me, I'm part of the wall." She laughed. "And if it was you going on this date, which of these dresses would you have picked?"

I thought back through the various dresses Roxy had glanced at and discarded. "The second one." It had been short sleeved, with a sweeping tulle skirt and a scattering of crystals which sparkled in the sunlight.

Roxy laughed again. "Predictably safe. I would love to dress you up in something of mine. I have a few things in the bag I brought over from the Helian Realm with me actually... Mostly practical stuff, but it would still be interesting to see you in it. Maybe tomorrow we can swap roles?" As she spoke, she emerged from the bathroom, leaving me temporarily unable to answer.

Roxy may not have liked Arcan clothing, but that didn't mean that it didn't look perfect on her. Imogen's dress made her look more elegant and sophisticated than I ever could. Her dark skin set off the brilliant white fabric beautifully. She was every inch an Arcan princess and Brae was going to find her irresistible.

"Oh Flames, do I look that ridiculous? Say something, please!" Roxy spun to look at her reflection self-consciously.

"Roxy, you look stunning. Honestly. He's not going to be able to take his eyes off you."

When she spun back round to face me, there was a glint in her eye. "I really, really hope so."

{So it looks like I've already failed in my new Monday and Friday update schedule... Sorry! Next chapter coming Friday. In the meantime, please let me know what you think in the comments and vote if you enjoyed the chapter.}