Chapter 14: Jasmine

"You look breathtaking tonight," Brae whispered in my ear as he spun me around the dance floor. His hand, rested on my lower back, seemed to burn my skin. He released his hold and spun me around in a circle before drawing me close again. "Utterly mesmerising," he continued. "And all mine." He grinned wickedly.

Brae seemed giddy with relief at how the day had gone. A flawless speech had been followed by a delicious feast and the dancing was now in full swing. His arms had barely left mine, aside from a few obligatory dances with the daughters of important Arcans. The music swelled around us, mingling with the happy chatter of the Arcans present at the ball. Even Tristan looked cheery as he took his place on the dance floor with the daughter of one of the Elders. She looked less pleased with her partner as he led her out - being President didn't make up for being a Sephan - but as they started to dance, I watched her expression soften into a smile. "You're going to have to be careful with him," I told Brae, gesturing towards the Sephan with a nod of my head. "His charm is proving irresistible."

"Well it's certainly not working on me. I had completely forgotten he was here. To be quite honest, with the way you look in that dress, I had almost forgotten there was anyone else here at all." I felt the hot blush spreading across my cheeks, causing Brae to laugh. It was lovely to see him more relaxed. The sadness and grief hadn't yet left his eyes, but as each day passed a little more of my Brae returned. For a moment, here on this dance floor, in the arms of the person who mattered most to me in the world, everything was perfect.

But the moment could never last.

The grand double doors to the ballroom opened with an almighty crash. An attendant stood in the gap, leaning against the door he had just thrown open, gasping for breath. "Your Highness-He-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence. A boy with flames for hair pushed him to the floor as he sauntered into the ballroom. He waited until he had nearly reached the centre, only a few feet away from Brae and me, before stopping. "Oh, it would appear I'm interrupting. Sorry to break up the party." Flames blazed menacingly in Cinaer's palms. His eyes locked on Brae.

The wind in the room picked up immediately.

"What are you doing here, Helian?"

"Demanding what's mine!" The flames in his palms burned even brighter. "It has come to the attention of the Helian people that the Arcans have imprisoned our crown princess. Following the unfortunate death of her grandfather and the imprisonment of her father for crimes against his country, she is next in line for the throne. I am here to take her back."

"No!" I gasped. I wouldn't let him have Roxy. Not after what he had done to her.

A smaller part of my brain registered the mention of her father - my father. Imprisoned for crimes against his country? That didn't make sense.

"Who is in charge of the Helian Realm now?" Brae didn't sound flustered; his voice carried the authority of a king and he had drawn himself up to his full height, so that he was looking down on the Helian.

But Cinaer didn't seem fazed by Brae's authority. He grinned again, tiny sparks of flame flickering menacingly at his fingertips. "That would be me." In response to Cin's fire, the temperature in the room plummeted, but once again the Helian seemed unconcerned.

"As Roxy's fiancé, I have been named interim leader of the Realm until such time as our princess is returned to us."

"What if she doesn't want to go back?" I really should have stopped speaking, but the words flew from my mouth before I could stop them.

Cinaer laughed. "Of course she does. We know all about how you kidnapped her in the night with Vincent's help, the same traitor who convinced you to rush away from our Realm so unceremoniously a few months ago. You took her to the Sephan Realm and she arrived here in chains a few days ago. I am here to deliver you an ultimatum. Return our princess to us by sundown tomorrow, or you will see your precious Realm burnt to dust."

There was a flash of fire and Cinaer vanished.

The ballroom descended into chaos. 

{Well done to everyone who guessed Cinaer. I have so much fun writing his bits and there's lots more drama to come. What do you think of his ultimatum? Do you think Jasmine will protect her sister, or use this as an opportunity to get rid of her?}