A Ball to Remember

Chapter 22

(A Ball to Remember)

Ari was anything but calm as she paced back and forth in her room. “This is going to be a disaster!” She said as she stumbled in her heels. The tomboy had worked very hard and although she had successfully learned all the required dances and wasn’t always stumbling she still wasn’t the most graceful walker in heels. ‘I’m going to let everyone down!’ She thought as she slumped down on the edge of her bed.

Hearing a knock she didn’t even bother getting up. “Come in,” She called less than cheerful. The door opened and she watched as her father entered the room.

“It won’t be that bad,” King Soren assured his daughter.

“I may have gotten better but I’m no swan on heels!” She wailed. “This is going to be a disaster!”

The Dark Elf King smiled warmly at his daughter. “You have done really well and I know you’re trying. I also recognize you weren’t given nearly enough time to learn everything; especially walking in heels.”

“That’s not going to help me not embarrass you, me, or your kingdom,” The blonde teenage girl said sadly.

Soren walked over and gently lifted the girl’s chin. “I am proud of you,” He told her. “You’ve had a lot thrown at you and all things considered you’re doing very well.” Ari went to argue but he quickly added. “Besides I think these will be helpful.” Ari watched as her father pulled out a pair of duplicate shoes to those she was wearing. The only difference was they were flat slippers.

Ari Squealed with delight; jumping from the bed and throwing her arms around the king. “Thank you!” She screamed excited as she abruptly kicked off the heels that had been on her feet. Soren laughed and watched as his daughter quickly slipped on the delicate slippers he’d brought her.

“This I can do!” Ari said proudly as her confidence instantly returned. “I can do the dress, dancing, and flats. This I can work with!” Smiling at the King that she had begun to come to terms with she said, “Thank you.”

Soren’s heart soared at her happiness. He’d done so many things wrong in his daughters eyes he was thrilled to have finally done something right. “You’re welcome.”

**

Sarah stood before a full length mirror wearing a white dress with a Burgundy bodice and trim. Her shoes were burgundy heels and Sarah looked and felt like a princess. “I can’t believe the ball is tonight,” She said looking herself over.

Hearing a knock she stepped away from the mirror and turned toward the door. “Come in,” She called in a pleasant voice.

The door opened and a very regal looking Jareth entered the room. He wore a burgundy jacket much like he had in the enchanted ballroom. His pants were black and he looked like he was the epitome of perfection. The very sight of him took her breath away.

Jareth didn’t notice Sarah’s stare of appreciation as he was too busy looking at the beautiful gown she wore and how beautiful she looked in it. He gave an arrogant pleased smile as he looked over. ‘All mine,’ He thought to himself. ‘My perfect queen.’

“Are you ready precious?” He inquired finally forcing himself to look into the dark haired beauty’s eyes. Unable to find her voice the mortal girl nodded. Jareth held his hand out to her and Sarah walked gracefully to where he stood and allowed him to put her arm in his.

“Arium said something about our introduction being important,” She said as they left her room.

“You need not worry my dear. Everyone will soon know your position.” Sarah wasn’t so sure but didn’t push for a better answer. It didn’t really matter she’d understand soon enough. “I should however tell you no one may dance with you without my permission.”