Chapter 25

Chapter 25

“How about we go on our first date tonight?” Jackson asked, wrapping an arm around my waist. He was still not convinced that I was fine. Jackson was my best friend for a long time and he can still see through me.

“Yeah that would be awesome,” I answered, smiling at him. I could really use a break.

“I’ll pick you up at 7:00,” he gave me one last kiss since we were already on my front porch.

I smiled at him before he left.

I walked up to my room and fell on my bed. Sleep came fast and I was thankful.

I woke up when I heard a knock on the door. I sat up in my bed and rubbed my eyes. I looked at my clock and it read 5:30p.m.

I frowned, not knowing who might be at the door. I walked down the stairs and opened the door to find Katelyn beaming at me.

“Hey Lyn!” I smiled down at the little angel before picking her up in my arms.

“She really wanted to see you,” Marianne said apologetically “I’m so sorry but she wouldn’t stop nagging…”

“It’s fine, really.” I smiled reassuringly at her “We’ll play together and I’ll drop her off in an hour.”

“Are you sure sweetie? If you’re busy she’ll come another day.”

“No, no,” I insisted “I’ll drop her off at 6:30.”

“Thanks, darling,” she smiled “And I’ll tell Lucas if he wants to come over too, you’ll have fun together.”

My smile faltered slightly but from the grin on her face, I knew that she didn’t know about our fight.

Lucas would rather die than spend time with me now, I thought bitterly.

I just smiled in return and she went back to her house.

“Let’s go play,” I told Katelyn and she squealed in delight. I carried her upstairs to my room where we sat on my bed, paying with my stuffed animals.

“Hello Teddy,” Katelyn grinned at my white teddy bear and I couldn’t help but smile.

“And who is this?” She asked eyeing one of my stuffed animals which was a blue dolphin.

“This is Brian,” I told her.

“Why did you name it like your brother?” she asked in that cute little voice of hers.

“Because he gave it to me on my birthday,” I answered remembering the day Brian bought me that dolphin. I loved it so much and I still do.

“Oh,” she nodded “When is your birthday?”

“November 2nd,” I replied, even though I didn’t want to tell her. But I didn’t have an excuse if I didn’t say…

“That is in a week!” she exclaimed. Yes I was turning seventeen in a week.

“Yep,” I said popping the ‘p’.

“So what are you going to do for your birthday?” she asked, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

My heart squeezed in my chest, “Uh n-nothing…”

I internally cursed myself. Couldn’t I come up with something? I’m so stupid sometimes.

“Why?” she asked, just as I anticipated.

I’ve never told anyone other than Ashley why I don’t celebrate my birthday.