Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I did not dare turn around, thinking I was hallucinating but when I felt him sit next to me, I knew that it was real.

He pulled me to him so I was sitting between his legs. He was silent, only caressing my hair to comfort me.

 That was my best friend.

 That was the Lucas I fell in love with.

I decided to make use of this moment where the real Lucas was back because he could disappear any second.

“Two years ago, the same date as today 1st of November, my parents were working and Brian was at his friend’s house so I had to take care of my little brother Marcus,” I started “He was an adorable nine year old with blond hair and innocent green eyes. He was very kind and loving. I adored him.”

I took a deep breath before continuing, “That day, I was in my room doing some homework and Marcus was playing on his bike in the back yard. Time flew as I tried to figure out the hard math problem I was solving and when I was finally done, I decided to check on my baby brother.”

I swallowed the lump in my throat and said, “I went to the backyard and found his red bike on the floor so I ran over to where it was and Marcus was there. He-he was passed out and covered with blood. I-I picked him up and saw that he fell from his bike and hit his head on a rock. I screamed, cried, and begged him to wake up but he never did. It was my fault. If I took care of him better none of this would’ve happened. If I got there earlier it wouldn’t have happened…” I sobbed loudly.

“Shh Anna it’s okay,” Lucas murmured holding me tighter “It’s not your fault.”

“It is!” I insisted.

Suddenly, he spun me around to face him,

“Listen to me,” he said, his blue eyes staring intently at me “You are great with kids. You know how much Kate loves you and I know that Marcus loves you even more. He doesn’t blame you. Accidents happen and it wasn’t your fault, Anna. Feeling guilty and crying and not celebrating your birthday because he died a day before, all this will make him sad,” he paused for a while to see my reaction then he carried on “Promise me; promise him that you won’t feel guilty anymore.”

I shook my head, “I can’t.”

How can I not feel guilty when I know that it was my fault?

Suddenly, I saw Marcus standing next to me, wearing the same outfit he was wearing that day, two years ago and the back of his head was covered with blood.

I knew I was hallucinating so I blinked a couple of time, rubbed my eyes, and shook my head but he was still there.

Could it be?

Could my baby brother be standing in front of me right now?

 Do these things really happen?

Do miracles happen?

“It’s not your fault Ri,” Marcus said using the nickname he always used for me.

My eyes widened and I gasped, “M-Marcus?”

He smiled softly and wiped my tears away, “Promise?”

I knew he was referring to the promise Lucas said earlier.

Could I?

Should I?

Lucas squeezed my hand and I found myself saying, “Promise.”