Chapter 30

Chapter 30

I woke up on my own on Wednesday morning. I yawned and rubbed my sleepy eyes. I pulled Teddy closer to me enjoying his soft white fur. I recalled the day I got Teddy.

I was turning five that day and as usual mom invited my friends over for my birthday. I was wearing a light pink dress and a shining tiara. There were only ten people but we had a lot of fun.

We played in the garden and the park all day. I remember that day so clearly because it was one of my favorite birthdays.

Brian was teasing me the whole time that day but I didn’t mind because my friends were there and I was having a great time.

We had lunch together and then they all sang ‘Happy Birthday’ before I blew out the candles and cut the pink cake.

After eating the cake, it was time for the best part: opening the gifts.

I started picking gift after gift. They were all wrapped in shining papers and the smile never left my face as I opened them.

I don’t remember the gifts clearly but I remember picking up Jackson’s gift. I opened the little card on the bag.

A little boy and girl, holding hands, were drawn on it. I smiled at the cute boy sitting next to me and he smiled back. Jackson was wearing a green shirt that matched his eyes and his hair was naturally messed up.

I eagerly opened the bag and gasped when I took out the fluffy white teddy bear. Its black eyes stared at me and I was mesmerized by its beauty.

“Wow,” I breathed out “It’s beautiful!”

I hugged Jackson and he grinned.

“I’m gonna name him Teddy,” I stated as I hugged it for the first time.

I snapped out of my daydream and noticed that I was smiling down at the white teddy bear in my arms. I took really good care of it over the years. Sure it wasn’t as good as it was when I was five but it’s still good.

I glanced at my watch. It was still early but I decided to get up anyway. I finished my morning routine and when I opened my bedroom door to walk out, Brian was standing there getting ready to come in and wake me up.

His eyes widened as he stared at me with his mouth hanging open,

“You’re awake.” He blinked at me.

I nodded my head.

“You’re awake on your own.”

I nodded again.

“You’re awake on your own on a school day.”

I nodded once again.

“You’re awake and ready on your own on a school day.”

I nodded again.

“Whoa! What is the world coming to?!” he exaggerated.

“Shut up,” I rolled my eyes at him and he grinned widely, ruffling my hair.

We went downstairs and I sat on a barstool as Brian prepared breakfast.

“So Brian, how are the ladies?” I smirked at him. I tried to keep everything light but I actually wanted to know if my brother has found any girl.