PART 15

"Because I've had times of needing protection too."

Arthur stared at the H/C haired female, listening to her words intentfully. "P-Protection? From w-who?" He asked, not sure if that was the right question to ask her.

Y/N smiled meekly, "I...er, don't really talk about my past to people." She muttered. Arthur took her hand into his, squeezing it tightly for a second, "You don't need to tell me though."

Y/N shook her head, "It was around... 6, maybe 7 years ago. I was 16 at the time, living with my parents back at home. We were quite the happy family back then. They would be there for me when I needed them at m-most of times." She started, Arthur listening in more.

"That was until one night, we were all asleep, and... there was a-a... a..." She didn't finish her sentence, tears already falling as she clutched onto herself, trying to keep herself calm.

Arthur gave the female a sad look, knowing how it felt to of lost someone important to them. "There was a f-fire... and I was the only one who survived." She continued after she calmed down.

"After the incident, I was taken into a foster home, after foster home after foster home. I was horrific, but I managed to get a good part time job somewhere to save up for somewhere to live. That in the end worked out. I got to leave the hell hole at 18 years old and I moved into my apartment, for now that I've been living there for 4 years." She smiled weakly.

"I-I'm sorry love." Arthur spoke after she finished, hugging her form again tightly. Y/N hugged him back just as hard, "It's not your fault. You didn't cause the fire." She sighed as she stood up again, grabbing the towel from the floor.

"Come on. You've been in here for a while now." She smiled again, that soft smile that made Arthur feel his heartbeat increase.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Arthur sat quietly on the floor, his damp hair being brushed through softly by Y/N, making sure to get rid of tangles.

Both Alfred and Matthew had gone to grab some pizza from Domino's, so it left Y/N and Arthur alone.

"Y/N?" Arthur asked as Y/N stopped brushing his hair, "Hmm?" She asked. He paused, before continuing, "Do you know the full story of me?" He asked.

Y/N paused herself, taking in his question, "Only a little bit. Why do you ask?" She asked, before Arthur turned around to meet her gaze.

"Because I also know what it's like to need protection from ones that you love." He said, "W-What?" She spoke, but Arthur continued.

"I was small and too young when I came to the zoo. I was separated from my human mother. She looked after me, until I was taken away from her and brought to the zoo, as something to look at from afar." He stopped, looking at Y/N's expression, before continuing.

"I was so alone. No-one was there for me. I had to spend 20 years of my life looking out at the many different children at my window, laughing and pointing at me for the whole day. That's what made me feel a burning hatred for humans. They used me for their own entertainment." He said.

"Humans can be cruel things... yet, some can be caring, kind and beautiful." He smiled at her, making her smile back at him.

"This world isn't cruel Y/N. It's just full of cruel people." He said, gazing down and away from her sympathetic expression, "Yes, but you have people, friends, who care for you. I c-care for you." She muttered the last part quietly, more to herself.

She hoped that Arthur hadn't heard her, but she felt Arthur grab her chin, placing two kisses on each side of her cheeks, "You were the one who brought me out of the darkness Y/N. You were my light all along." He smiled as Y/N felt the blush appear on her cheeks.

Then, the next words brought Y/N to realisation:

"The world needs more people as beautiful as you."